Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> on 2013/08/27 15:29:05 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1099094 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_serf/commit.c

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM,  <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: philip
> Date: Tue May  3 15:39:55 2011
> New Revision: 1099094

> Log:
> Revert part of r1099044.  Files still get closed explicitly, to
> avoid problems with too many open files, but the files will
> exist on disk for longer.
>
> * subversion/libsvn_ra_serf/commit.c
>   (apply_textdelta): Go back to svn_io_file_del_on_pool_cleanup.

Hi Philip,

Do you remember why you reverted delete on close approach? Did you
find any problems? Because currently file_baton pool is not cleared
until close_edit and temporary files remain on disk until commit
finishes.

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: svn commit: r1099094 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_serf/commit.c

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> writes:

> On 8/28/13 7:35 AM, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
>> Bert refers to r712674 [1] -- 4 years old change in APR, so it should
>> not be issue now.
>>
>> @Bert: Do you remember why temporary file could be not removed on file close?
>>
>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r712674
>
> Unless we've raised our requirement of APR to not allow versions that
> have this issue we should leave any workarounds we have for it in.  We
> end up with a lot of users running on old Linux distros that use
> whatever APR is provided by the distros.  Heck our own CentOS buildbot
> is one of these cases, it's using APR/APR-Util 1.2.7 which was released
> April 14th, 2006.
>
> If you want to avoid the workarounds for newer APR versions that you
> detect at runtime I'd support that.
>
> I'd support us raising our APR version requirement in Subversion 1.9.x
> to APR 1.3.x, not sure if that helps in this case.

The Subversion change (r1099094) was to revert svn_io_file_del_on_close
back to svn_io_file_del_on_pool_cleanup.  The APR change (r712674) was a
fix for APR_DELONCLOSE so I suppose that svn_io_file_del_on_close might
not work properly with old APR.

I don't recall the exact details of what, if anything, failed.  I don't
know whether Bert was worried about some specific ra_serf problem with
using svn_io_file_del_on_close or whether it was just a general
observation that there was an APR bug. There are other places in the
current Subversion source code that use svn_io_file_del_on_close so we
don't appear to have a blanket ban on using it.

--
Philip Martin | Subversion Committer
WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*

Re: svn commit: r1099094 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_serf/commit.c

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.