Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sander van Zoest <sa...@vanZoest.com> on 2001/10/12 03:37:28 UTC

MD5 mime issues on daedalus

Hi,

i know we have been fixing mime related issues in the 2.0 tree, so I am
not sure if this a config or code issue. I am receiving a Content-Encoding:
x-gzip headers while attempting to download MD5 checksum
files such as
<http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/apache_1.3.22.tar.gz.md5>

I am not experiencing this behavior for PGP signature files, so that would
lead me to believe this is a config issue. In light of the new release on
the 1.3 branch, this could bite a few people.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                          sander@vanzoest.com
High Geek                                         http://Sander.vanZoest.com/

Re: MD5 mime issues on daedalus

Posted by Sander van Zoest <sa...@vanZoest.com>.
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>     <Files *.asc>
>       RemoveEncoding gz tgz Z
>     </Files>
> should have included the pattern md5.  Would explain this observation ;)

I would put in a
<Files *.md5$>
  RemoveEncoding gz tgz Z
</Files>

> Appropriate content-types might be;
> AddType application/pgp-signature md5 asc
> or no?

# RFC 3156
AddType application/pgp-signature .asc

is correct (although it is already listed in the mimetypes file as
text/plain for some reason), but md5 isn't a pgp registered extension.
It isn't really related to pgp. I do not know of the correct mime type
for an md5 checksum file. Anyone?

Usually this would be used in a Content-MD5 header (RFC2616#14.15), which
we might want to add to the actual tarballs just as Content-Encoding.

Cheers,

Posted by Sander van Zoest <sa...@vanZoest.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>.