Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Douglass <mi...@texas.net> on 1998/01/06 21:39:38 UTC

[sameer@c2.net: Re: ZDNet article]

Being much put off by some of c2.net's stuff, I made apost and a
mention of using apache-ssl; then mr. c2.net tells me that it's
illegal in North America.  Since the author of the apache-ssl
patches is a member of this list perhaps he can comment. :)

-----Forwarded message from sameer <sa...@c2.net>-----

> www.apache-ssl.org -- IT'S FREE!!!

	I hate to rain on your parade, because I certainly don't
*like* software patents and trade secret restrictions on cryptography,
but you should note that in addition to being free its also illegal to
use in north america.

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
President					FAX:     510-986-8777

-----End of forwarded message-----

--
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

<tnet admin> anyway, I'm off, perl code is making me [a] crosseyed toady

Re: [sameer@c2.net: Re: ZDNet article]

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Michael Douglass wrote:

> Being much put off by some of c2.net's stuff, I made apost and a
> mention of using apache-ssl; then mr. c2.net tells me that it's
> illegal in North America.  Since the author of the apache-ssl
> patches is a member of this list perhaps he can comment. :)

Clearly Apache-SSL can't be illegal in the US. Sameer is selling it.

Nice marketing line, though, Sameer.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: [sameer@c2.net: Re: ZDNet article]

Posted by ap...@web1.valley-internet.com.
There is another solution that may or may not be a real alternative for
you.  You can purchase the bsafe library from RSA for under $400 and
compile that into ssleay.  The big bucks come if you plan on distributing,
but for in house commercial use it's not a bad alternative if you have
someone in house that can put it all together.

Chris

Posted by Michael Douglass <mi...@texas.net>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Michael Douglass wrote:

> Being much put off by some of c2.net's stuff, I made apost and a
> mention of using apache-ssl; then mr. c2.net tells me that it's
> illegal in North America.  Since the author of the apache-ssl
> patches is a member of this list perhaps he can comment. :)

There is nothing new there.

The patches aren't illegal to use and are not restricted by license, but
in the US (Canada is less clear) RSA has a patent on an algorithm required
for SSLv2.  You either need a license from RSA or you have to use the
rsaref library, which is freely available for non-commercial use; not for
commercial use.