Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jk...@time.cdrom.com> on 1995/10/27 01:00:10 UTC

Re: FYI.. (fwd)

> If *you're* happy bundling a beta that has 1 and maybe 2 more patch/test/vote
> cycles to go before it's 1.0 then carry on.  There is some impetus within
> our group to 'get a move on' and release something *anything* before christma
> that we could happily call 1.0.  But, as has been proven in the past 2 weeks
> this eagerness can cause us to overlook problems.

I understand, and I have absolutely no problem with the idea of using
the BETA version - we've beat on it pretty heavily at www.freebsd.org,
as have a number of our customers, and it's as solid as anything I
could hope for.  I'm sure that there are always bugs, but it's
certainly more than "good enough" in its current form, IMHO.

> Nope.  But a 1.0 release *could* tread on the toes of whatever funky
> code you've wrapped Apache 0.8.14 in, and we wouldn't feel blamed if
> it did.  This said, we've been in a feature freeze for what seems like

I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly..  You're worried that a 1.0
release from you could confuse the FreeBSD users?  I wouldn't sweat
that, if so, since the selection of 0.8.14 is deliberately not a
configuration option (as the browser is) and I don't expect people to
slap together anything but 2.1 and 0.8.14 in combination for awhile to
come, at least not through my installation code.  This will reduce the
possibility of unknown combinations and, as I said, the 2.1 + 0.8.14
combination is pretty well tested at this point.

If that's not the point you're making, then please forgive my
misconception.

> catch bugs, not to radically change the way Apache behaves.  If we had
> an understanding of what you expect to be in the apache distribution
> as and when you come to un-package it, then we could give you more
> sound advice.  There are several FreeBSD users on this list and advice
> given would be good.

Our assumptions are probably best described by the current "packing
list" in /usr/ports/net/apache/pkg/PLIST.  If you have access to a
FreeBSD system (or ask one of the FreeBSD folks on this list) that
will pretty much sum it up.  The FreeBSD users are also encouraged to
look at /usr/src/release/sysinstall/apache.c in the snapshot that will
be released today if they want to see *exactly* what kind of "front
end" work we've done for it.  I don't think that any of the
assumptions we've made are that significant, and if you go with
something different come 1.0 then I'll simply change the installation
to match.  Like I said, the combination hardcoded is hardcoded for now
and there's no danger of accidently grabbing a version of Apache for
which the internal layout has changed anyway.

> I would say don't wait for us.  IMHO, we have few enough reasons for getting
> this damned thing right without the added kudos of being closely associated
> with a product like FreeBSD to deflect our quality control.

Understood!  I think that the current installation options we have
will more than do our mutual reputations justice, so there's no need
to sweat this.  I just wanted to make sure that you were comfortable
with the whole idea..

Those of you desiring more hands-on experience with what I'm talking
about here are also more than encouraged to grab the FreeBSD 2.1
snapshot I'll be putting up tonite!

					Jordan

----- End Included Message -----