Posted to users@felix.apache.org by maillist <ma...@baylishome.me.uk> on 2015/05/15 16:59:04 UTC

Development environment with Felix

Hi,
     We are currently using Eclipse IDE to develop and test OSGi bundles
but we use Felix to run those bundles in a production environment.   I
would love to swap out Equinox and replace with Felix as it has a much
faster startup time and gives us the benefit of the OBR.   However, the
thing that is stopping us is the requirement to compile and package the
test bundle before starting Felix.  Equinox has an override that allows
it to load classes from the "source"project.   How can I replicate this
behaviour in Felix, ie do not require the pre packaging as some of these
bundles are huge and take time to repackage every time we launch the
test.  From the research I have done,  this is not possible in Felix as
it stands.  Is there a hidden way?

I am likely to hack/extend the Felix code (and republish) to provide
this "development environment" workaround as the benefits for us will be
huge.   Would someone give me a starter or a better way of doing this?

Cheers,

Michael Baylis

Re: Development environment with Felix

Posted by maillist <ma...@baylishome.me.uk>.
I like the look of BndTools, might use it for my own work.  However,
adding this as a dependency to our plugins would be frowned upon.

I have taking the source code apart and found you can specify
reference:file://xxxx  as the bundle source uri.  This works for
directories.   With a simple set of extensions to the bundle cache class
and its children,  I think I can get this working fairly easily.

Michael

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.

Posted by maillist <ma...@baylishome.me.uk>.
Hi Chris,
               Looks very good and if we used Felix as a standalone osgi
launcher we would use the project as is.  We have our own launch
configurations for our test framework as there are
test parameters and other helpful information that needs to be supplied
to the framwork,   but I can adapt it from the example you have given.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Michael

Posted by Christopher Armstrong <ca...@fastmail.com.au>.
Hi Michael

If it helps, the felix-eclipse plugin (disclosure: I am the original
author) for Eclipse works similarly to what you describe - it assembles
the bundle "in-memory" from the source code files (using a custom bundle
loader plugin), on-the-fly, and bootstraps Felix as an Eclipse
framework. It's also possible to update them as the Felix framework is
running.

https://github.com/chris-armstrong/felix-eclipse/

Cheers
Chris

On Sat, May 16, 2015, at 12:59 AM, maillist wrote:
> Hi,
>      We are currently using Eclipse IDE to develop and test OSGi bundles
> but we use Felix to run those bundles in a production environment.   I
> would love to swap out Equinox and replace with Felix as it has a much
> faster startup time and gives us the benefit of the OBR.   However, the
> thing that is stopping us is the requirement to compile and package the
> test bundle before starting Felix.  Equinox has an override that allows
> it to load classes from the "source"project.   How can I replicate this
> behaviour in Felix, ie do not require the pre packaging as some of these
> bundles are huge and take time to repackage every time we launch the
> test.  From the research I have done,  this is not possible in Felix as
> it stands.  Is there a hidden way?
>
> I am likely to hack/extend the Felix code (and republish) to provide
> this "development environment" workaround as the benefits for us will be
> huge.   Would someone give me a starter or a better way of doing this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Baylis

  Christopher Armstrong
  carmstrong ^^AT^ fastmail dOT com /Dot/ au