Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Arne Claassen <ar...@mindtouch.com> on 2010/11/01 20:09:35 UTC

Plan of action to keep Lucene.NET an official ASF project

While the discussion on about the community status is interesting, i
can't divine any information on what needs to be done. I have a couple
of question and don't know where to get the answers from, so hopefully
someone can provide some guidance:

ASF:
1) What has to happen for the ASF to let Lucene.NET continue as an
official project
2) Since a lot of the discussion and commitment to help seems to be
centered around making Lucene.NET more .NET like, is this something
that can be done under the auspices of the ASF or does it run counter
to some principle?

Comitters:
1) What's the most productive task to undertake for a new contributor
to further the goal of staying in the ASF
2) What is the process for becoming a comitter

thanks,
Arne Claassen

MindTouch
San Diego, CA
http://twitter.com/sdether

Re: Plan of action to keep Lucene.NET an official ASF project

Posted by Arne Claassen <ar...@mindtouch.com>.
On Nov 1, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Digy wrote:

> 1.  The community needs to show some (sustained) life.  Not just in
> code,
> but in discussion of the project's future, etc.  We would expect the
> committers to take a leadership role here.

Looks like we've got community discussion going. Question is can be
sustain it. Although the direction we should take alone seems like
discussion that could go on forever :)

> 2. The community needs to do a real release that is voted on by the
> PMC.

Is there a link for the release process? I.e. what is lacking in the
source releases that would allow them to be real releases? Is it just
packaging?

> 4. Identify some new blood for contributors/committers.  Or the
> current
> committers need to step up more and take a lead role in the community.

Sounds like this is achievable, although at least to some extend this
is depending on the answer regarding whether Lucene.NET needs to
maintain full parity with Lucene in API.

cheers,

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arne,

For your 1st question to comitters: below is the mail from "Grant Ingersoll"
who initiated this topic.

Hi .Netters,

The Lucene PMC would like to ask everyone involved with .NET if they might
chime in on the status of this project.  There hasn't been a commit since
July 2010 (and that one was trivial and there were only 2 in June) and there
seems to be very little activity on the dev mailing list.  There also has
not been a release in a long time.  This was brought up at the last Lucene
Board Report and it doesn't appear that there has been any action since.   A
community should be able to withstand the loss of a single committer, but
here it appears that there are no longer any committers willing to work on
the project.

In order to remedy the situation, we would like the following things to be
done:

1.  The community needs to show some (sustained) life.  Not just in code,
but in discussion of the project's future, etc.  We would expect the
committers to take a leadership role here.

2. The community needs to do a real release that is voted on by the PMC.

3. The webpage needs to be updated to reflect that those previous "source"
releases are not real releases and should be taken down.  Likewise, the news
section should not tout these non-releases as releases.  The website should
also meet the PMC Branding guidelines recently sent out.

4. Identify some new blood for contributors/committers.  Or the current
committers need to step up more and take a lead role in the community.

We would like to see action on all of these things by the end of this year.
If they can't be met, there will be one of the following actions:

2. Go into the Apache Attic.  If someone wants to take the code base and
fork it out as a project somewhere else under a new name that does not use
the Lucene trademark name (since that is owned by the ASF) than that is
perfectly acceptable under the Apache license.

If the conditions can be met, we think that the project should spin itself
out as its own Top Level ASF project with its own PMC so that its future
direction can be set by the stakeholders of the project and not by the
larger Lucene project as a whole.

Sincerely,

Grant Ingersoll

On behalf of the Lucene PMC=

And for the 2nd:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/understandingopensource.html

PS: "making Lucene.NET more .NET like" is a sub-topic  and isn't related
with staying under Apache umbrella. It is just a discussion about the future
path of the project.

DIGY

Posted by Josh Handel <Jo...@catapultsystems.com>.
I would like to add one other question to that List..

ASF:   What benefits & support does staying under the ASF umbrella provide, that would not exist if the project forked (beyond the name).

Josh