Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/25 22:17:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Regression introduced in Full Dev

A regression was introduced recently that breaks full dev.  I've narrowed
down the commit that introduced it and have submitted a PR to revert that
commit:  https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/549.

Given there has been confusion recently over our deployment build process,
I think it's appropriate that we discuss and come to a consensus  and on
how this should work.

Ryan

Re: [DISCUSS] Regression introduced in Full Dev

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
I *think* I have a fix, I have to try to test again tomorrow, my vagrant up
worked though.

I had to put the rpm copy executions inside the profiles ( so they get
merged in order ).

On April 25, 2017 at 22:44:13, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22150209/maven-changes-the-order-of-plugins-of-different-profiles
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-2258

On April 25, 2017 at 22:33:58, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

So, the copy resources configuration is still there, and not governed by
the profile.
Is it possible that since they both run in package, that they are out of
order?

On April 25, 2017 at 22:31:27, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

Having said that, i see the problem.
I am very sorry

How do I go about resubmitting if I can fix it?

On April 25, 2017 at 22:29:56, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

OK, I’ll take a look.  Sorry - I thought they read out of the RPMS dir and
verified that they were produced both ways.
I am not sure how my change would change the target copy.

On April 25, 2017 at 22:25:04, Justin Leet (justinjleet@gmail.com) wrote:

The problem seems to be that full/quick dev rely on having the RPMs in the
/target folder

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:
metron_rpm_glob: "{{ playbook_dir
}}/../packaging/docker/rpm-docker/target/RPMS/noarch/*.rpm"

However, that PR appears to no longer copy to the /target folder run as
expected, so quick and full dev are unable to find the RPMs.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
[...]

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
I think the copy resources should run in the post-package phase, to
explicitly set the order.
Does that make sense to anyone else?

[...]

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
So, the copy resources configuration is still there, and not governed by
the profile.
Is it possible that since they both run in package, that they are out of
order?

On April 25, 2017 at 22:31:27, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

Having said that, i see the problem.
I am very sorry

How do I go about resubmitting if I can fix it?

On April 25, 2017 at 22:29:56, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

OK, I’ll take a look.  Sorry - I thought they read out of the RPMS dir and
verified that they were produced both ways.
I am not sure how my change would change the target copy.

On April 25, 2017 at 22:25:04, Justin Leet (justinjleet@gmail.com) wrote:

The problem seems to be that full/quick dev rely on having the RPMs in the
/target folder

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
Having said that, i see the problem.
I am very sorry

How do I go about resubmitting if I can fix it?

On April 25, 2017 at 22:29:56, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

OK, I’ll take a look.  Sorry - I thought they read out of the RPMS dir and
verified that they were produced both ways.
I am not sure how my change would change the target copy.

On April 25, 2017 at 22:25:04, Justin Leet (justinjleet@gmail.com) wrote:

The problem seems to be that full/quick dev rely on having the RPMs in the
/target folder

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
OK, I’ll take a look.  Sorry - I thought they read out of the RPMS dir and
verified that they were produced both ways.
I am not sure how my change would change the target copy.

On April 25, 2017 at 22:25:04, Justin Leet (justinjleet@gmail.com) wrote:

The problem seems to be that full/quick dev rely on having the RPMs in the
/target folder

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:

Posted by Justin Leet <ju...@gmail.com>.
The problem seems to be that full/quick dev rely on having the RPMs in the
/target folder

From metron-deployment/roles/metron-rpms/defaults:

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
So I have a fix, vagrant full installs for me, with the rpm’s in
/localrepo.  I do have issues
post deploy cluster, but I think they are resource related.

How should I go about this?  What Jira would I post the PR against?  The
same as the original?

On April 26, 2017 at 07:39:07, Justin Leet (justinjleet@gmail.com) wrote:

I have it (and had it yesterday). Subject is: "[DISCUSS] The various
methods and incantations to spin up Metron".

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/552

On April 26, 2017 at 08:13:26, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

It did, I didn’t see it until later in the night though, all my jira spam
goes into one folder
and honestly, nifi issues is flooding it.  I’ll have to split that out.

Is there a metron issues list?

On April 26, 2017 at 08:08:59, David Lyle (dlyle65535@gmail.com) wrote:

Thanks Otto, the original JIRA is good. I reopened it yesterday when I had
the issue. I was hoping it would have emailed you.

-D...

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.
I just filter on 'to:(issues@metron.incubator.apache.org)' and skip the
inbox. There's an interesting (and useful to me anyway) side-effect in
Gmail- issues I'm watching still end up in my inbox because JIRA also
emails me directly.

-D...

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

--

Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] Regression introduced in Full Dev

Posted by Justin Leet <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

--

Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] Regression introduced in Full Dev

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
What other thread?

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.