Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Bruce DeVisser <BD...@mdrobotics.ca> on 2003/06/30 17:20:51 UTC

Filesystem has no such node-rev-id

I've been using svn for a while, and this is the first serious problem
(aside from that annoying Windows case-insensitivity thing).

The client is 0.24.2, and I'm running on Windows 2000 using local mode
(file:/// url) on a mapped drive (Novell network).

The scenario: after some development, I tagged a piece of the trunk by
copying to the repository tags directory. Afterward, I created a
development branch of the entire trunk. I attempted svn switch to the
branch, but it failed, saying there was no space on the device
(actually there was double the size of the entire repository
available).

I ran svn cleanup -- no change. svnadmin lstxns -- nothing. I tried
svnadmin recover, and it ran without saying anything extraordinary
(basically it said, 'running... done' on two lines, though I don't remember
the details).

Now I am having problems accessing my original respository directory.
For example, a fresh checkout attempt comes back with:

  svn: Filesystem has no such node-rev-id
  svn: reference to non-existent node `wg.0.69' in filesystem `h:/svnroot/db'

An attempt to check out using the tag (from part of the trunk) that was
created was successful.

An attempt to check out of the branch that was created was not quite
successful, quitting with the same error message after checkout of many
files. The part of the development branch that is included in the tag
checked out okay, but there's nothing lower down the trunk.

What's the next step to take?

Re: Filesystem has no such node-rev-id

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Bruce DeVisser wrote:
> Oops, forgot one thing:
>
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 01:20:51PM -0400, Bruce DeVisser wrote:
>
>>The scenario: after some development, I tagged a piece of
>>the trunk by copying to the repository tags directory.
>>Afterward, I created a development branch of the entire
>>trunk. I attempted svn switch to the branch, but it
>>failed, saying there was no space on the device (actually
>>there was double the size of the entire repository
>>available).
>

> Prior to all of this, I had run out of disk quota during a
> minor commit, and requested more. I ran svn cleanup
> immediately after obtaining it, just in case.

svn cleanup won't do you much good if you ran out of disk space on the
filesystem the repository lives on, it just cleans up the working copy,
it doesn't touch the repository at all.  i imagine svnadmin recover
would be the way to go in such a case, but someone with more
filesystem-fu would be able to answer better.

> And, this raises another question about recovery: how is
> this 'replay' done? Is it just a matter of plugging in the
> log files and running svnadmin recover? (I got an error when
> I tried this, but didn't have the presence of mind to write
> it down.) In any case, it is not entirely clear to me from
> the documentation (even the BD documentation). But it is
> possible I just haven't found the right spot in the docs.

I would also be interested in exactly how to do this.

Also, I believe you mentioned that you were using ra_local to access a
repository on a network drive, right?  That's a really bad idea, as
berkeley db doesn't play nicely with networked filesystems, and bad
things are likely to happen as a result.

-garrett

Re: Filesystem has no such node-rev-id

Posted by Bruce DeVisser <bm...@look.ca>.
Oops, forgot one thing:

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 01:20:51PM -0400, Bruce DeVisser wrote:
> The scenario: after some development, I tagged a piece of
> the trunk by copying to the repository tags directory.
> Afterward, I created a development branch of the entire
> trunk. I attempted svn switch to the branch, but it
> failed, saying there was no space on the device (actually
> there was double the size of the entire repository
> available).

Prior to all of this, I had run out of disk quota during a
minor commit, and requested more. I ran svn cleanup
immediately after obtaining it, just in case.

And, this raises another question about recovery: how is
this 'replay' done? Is it just a matter of plugging in the
log files and running svnadmin recover? (I got an error when
I tried this, but didn't have the presence of mind to write
it down.) In any case, it is not entirely clear to me from
the documentation (even the BD documentation). But it is
possible I just haven't found the right spot in the docs.

Bruce