Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tom White <to...@apache.org> on 2011/06/14 06:26:25 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Bigtop for the Apache Incubator

Hi,

I would like to propose Bigtop to be an Apache Incubator project.
Bigtop is a project for the development of packaging and tests of the
Hadoop ecosystem. The goal is to do testing at various levels
(packaging, platform, runtime, upgrade, etc...) developed by a
community with a focus on the system as a whole, rather than
individual projects.

Here's a link to the proposal on the wiki
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BigtopProposal

I've also included the initial contents below.

Cheers,
Tom

= Bigtop - Apache Hadoop Ecosystem Packaging and Test =

== Abstract ==

Bigtop - a project for the development of packaging and tests of the
Hadoop ecosystem.

== Proposal ==

The primary goal of Bigtop is to build a community around the
packaging and interoperability testing of Hadoop-related projects.
This includes testing at various levels (packaging, platform, runtime,
upgrade, etc...) developed by a community with a focus on the system
as a whole, rather than individual projects.

Build, packaging and integration test code that depends upon official
releases of the Apache Hadoop-related projects (HDFS, MapReduce,
HBase, Hive, Pig, ZooKeeper, etc...) will be developed and released by
this project. As bugs and other issues are found we expect these to be
fixed upstream.

== Background ==

The initial packaging and test code for Bigtop was developed by
Cloudera to package projects from the Apache Hadoop ecosystem and
provide a consistent, inter-operable framework.

== Rationale ==

Hadoop defines itself as:

{{{
The Apache Hadoop project develops open-source software for reliable,
scalable, distributed computing. Hadoop includes these subprojects:

* Hadoop Common: The common utilities that support the other Hadoop subprojects.
* HDFS: A distributed file system that provides high throughput access
to application data.
* MapReduce: A software framework for distributed processing of large
data sets on compute clusters.
}}}

There are also several other Hadoop-related projects at Apache.  Some
TLP examples include HBase, Hive, Mahout, ZooKeeper, and Pig.  There
are also several new projects in the Incubator such as HCatalog and
Sqoop.

There is limited interoperability testing done the projects
themselves. The intent of this project is to build a community where
the projects are brought together, packaged, and tested for
interoperability.

Projects such as Apache Whirr (incubating), which deploy and use a
collection of Hadoop-related projects, would benefit from the
interoperability testing done by Bigtop, rather than picking and
testing project combinations themselves.

== Initial Goals ==

Much of the code for Bigtop has been released by Cloudera under the
Apache 2.0 license for over two years.

Some current goals include:
 * create a set of packages for the Hadoop ecosystem, over a wide
range of platforms
 * interoperability test these projects
 * document project sets that are known to work well together

Bigtop’s release artifact would consist of a single tarball of
packaging and test code that, when built, would produce source and
binary Linux packages for the upstream projects.

= Current Status =

== Meritocracy ==

Bigtop was originally developed and released as an open source
packaging infrastructure, CDH, by Cloudera.

== Community ==

The community is primarily the original developers at Cloudera,
however a number of contributions to the packaging specifications have
been accepted from outside contributors. Growing a diverse community
is the main reason to bring Bigtop to the Apache Incubator.

== Core Developers ==

The core developers for Bigtop project are:
 * Andrew Bayer has extensive expertise with build tools, specifically
Jenkins continuous integration and Maven.
 * Peter Linnell has contributed to the RPM packaging.
 * Bruno Mahé has overseen much of the development of the RPM and
Debian packaging system.
 * Roman Shaposhnik designed and implemented the system testing framework.

Many of the committers to the Bigtop project have contributed towards
Hadoop or related Apache projects (Alejandro Abdelnur, Eli Collins,
Patrick Hunt, John Sichi, Michael Stack, Tom White) and are familiar
with Apache principals and philosophy for community driven software
development.

== Alignment ==

We expect projects in Bigtop to be drawn from Hadoop and related
projects at Apache. Bigtop will complement these projects (Hadoop,
Pig, Hive, HBase, etc...) by providing an environment for contributors
interested in building more complex data processing pipelines to work
together integrating more than a single project into a well tested
whole.

= Known Risks =

== Orphaned Products ==

The contributors are leading vendors of Hadoop-based technologies and
have a long standing in the Hadoop community. There is minimal risk of
this work becoming non-strategic and the contributors are confident
that a larger community will form within the project in a relatively
short space of time.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==

All code developed for Bigtop has been open sourced under the Apache
2.0 license. Most committers of Bigtop project are intimately familiar
with the Apache model for open-source development and are experienced
with working with new contributors.

== Homogeneous Developers ==

The initial set of committers is from a small set of organizations and
numerous existing Apache projects. We expect that once approved for
incubation, the project will attract new contributors from more
organizations and will thus grow organically.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==

It is expected that Bigtop will be developed on salaried and volunteer
time, although all of the initial developers will work on it mainly on
salaried time.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==

Bigtop depends upon other Apache Projects including Apache Hadoop,
Apache HBase, Apache Hive, Apache Pig, Apache Zookeeper, Apache
Thrift, Apache Avro. The build system uses Apache Ant and Apache
Maven.

== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==

We would like Bigtop to become an Apache project to further foster a
healthy community of contributors and consumers around
interoperability, testing and packaging of Hadoop projects. Since
Bigtop directly interacts with many Apache Hadoop-related projects and
solves important problems of many Hadoop users, residing in the the
Apache Software Foundation will increase interaction with the larger
community.

= Documentation =

 * Bigtop will develop its own documentation detailing how to build,
test, install, configure and debug.

= Initial Source =

 * https://github.com/cloudera/bigtop

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

 * The initial source is already licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

https://github.com/cloudera/bigtop

== External Dependencies ==

The required external dependencies are all Apache License or
compatible licenses.

== Cryptography ==

Bigtop doesn't use cryptography itself, however Hadoop projects use
standard APIs and tools for SSH and SSL communication where necessary.

= Required  Resources =

== Mailing lists ==

 * bigtop-private (with moderated subscriptions)
 * bigtop-dev
 * bigtop-commits
 * bigtop-user

== Subversion Directory ==

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop

== Issue Tracking ==

JIRA BIGTOP (Bigtop)

== Other Resources ==

The existing code already has unit and integration tests so we would
like a Jenkins instance to run them whenever a new patch is submitted.
This can be added after project creation.

= Initial Committers =

 * Alejandro Abdelnur (tucu at cloudera dot com)
 * Andrew Bayer (abayer at cloudera dot com)
 * Eli Collins (eli at apache dot org)
 * Travis Crawford (travis at twitter dot com)
 * Bruno Mahé (bruno at cloudera dot com)
 * Patrick Hunt (phunt at apache dot org)
 * Peter Linnell (plinnell at cloudera dot com)
 * James Page (James.page at canonical dot com)
 * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at cloudera dot com)
 * John Sichi (jvs at apache dot org)
 * Michael Stack (stack at apache dot org)
 * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)

= Affiliations =

 * Alejandro Abdelnur, Cloudera
 * Andrew Bayer, Cloudera
 * Eli Collins, Cloudera
 * Travis Crawford, Twitter
 * Bruno Mahé, Cloudera
 * Patrick Hunt, Cloudera
 * Peter Linnell, Cloudera
 * James Page, Canonical
 * Roman Shaposhnik, Cloudera
 * John Sichi, Facebook
 * Michael Stack, StumbleUpon
 * Tom White, Cloudera

= Sponsors =

== Champion ==

 * Patrick Hunt

== Nominated Mentors ==

 * Patrick Hunt
 * Tom White

== Sponsoring Entity ==

 * Apache Incubator PMC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Bigtop for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Tom White <to...@apache.org>.
Owen,

Thanks for offering to help out.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@apache.org>.
Alan Gates has volunteered to be a committer and mentor, so I added
him to the proposal. (For some reason his email to this list didn't
come through.)

Thanks Alan!

Tom

Posted by Tom White <to...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Thanks for signing up.

Bigtop should not maintain branches or patchsets on top of upstream
projects. Any bugs or compatibility problems that are found will need
to be resolved in the upstream projects and then released in those
projects. This makes things harder for Bigtop, but, like you, I hope
having committers from the upstream projects involved in Bigtop will
give projects further impetus to make releases in a timely manner.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 14/06/11 05:26, Tom White wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose Bigtop to be an Apache Incubator project.
> Bigtop is a project for the development of packaging and tests of the
> Hadoop ecosystem. The goal is to do testing at various levels
> (packaging, platform, runtime, upgrade, etc...) developed by a
> community with a focus on the system as a whole, rather than
> individual projects.
>
> Here's a link to the proposal on the wiki
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BigtopProposal
>
> I've also included the initial contents below.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

I've added my name to the committer list, I won't be working on this in
much/any of work time, and am fairly overcommitted, so don't expect that
much. I can contribute some of my experience in VM setup/teardown for
testing RPM installations, and how to do functional testing of
dynamically created Hadoop clusters.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Bigtop for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Tom,

I'd like to join as a committer and mentor as well.

Alan.

Posted by Tom White <to...@apache.org>.
Edward, Andrei - thanks for volunteering to help out as initial
committers. Please add your names to the proposal on the wiki.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.