Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2012/12/20 06:33:33 UTC

How to use an apache webpage

All webpages we host are works in progress subject to change when better consensus emerges.  Please do not affix any labels to the pages describing them as drafts as that only serves to discourage others from working on them.  Normative policy documents are few and far between and you will recognize them by their self-descriptions as such.

Every interested party is welcome to collaborate with us to produce more informative and accurate webpages through the CMS.  Please help out where you can.  Our documentation becomes increasingly authoritative as more and more people refer to it in positive ways; ie the best documents wear well over time.

HTH
Sent from my iPhone

Re: How to use an apache webpage

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>>>
>>> I put the DRAFT on because I originally wrote these for my personal
>>> Community Over Code site, and I wanted to ensure the style was appropriate
>>> for a path under a.o/foundation, which makes it official.
>>

>> I wonder if a label like "work in progress" might be better suited, if we
>> want to indicate in future that something is incomplete but input is
>> welcomed?

If I follow this thread, the point is that (a) we have no process for
formally approving the docs in question, so (b) they always remain
W-I-P or DRAFT, so (c) no one knows whether to believe them.

The proposal here, to which I am +1, is that all of the docs are
subject to patches and vetos. So we need no such marking, but rather
the members of the responsible PMC need to act on their responsibility
and talk/act if they see something so wrong that someone should *not*
believe it. Until then, we trust the committers of these docs to
commit things that people should believe.

If someone wants to propose a small-print footer that copies this
policy, which is already on the incubator 'how to update the website
page', someone should, well, commit it.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
r843246

I put the DRAFT on because I originally wrote these for my personal
Community Over Code site, and I wanted to ensure the style was
appropriate for a path under a.o/foundation, which makes it official.
Since at least Christian seems to like it, I've removed the DRAFT.  No,
I didn't get the idea from RBD, it's just a habit I have when I get
something partway done without having time to finish it all the way... 8-)

Thanks for the reminder, will try to cleanup and do the same to the
whole /governance tree over the holidays.  Personally, I think they're a
really helpful resource.

- Shane

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.