Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1996/02/28 05:59:20 UTC

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Not that I want to start any flame wars, but if there ever was a
testimonial to the performance differences between Unix and Windows,
see this:

"The popular www.windows95.com Web site runs on the BSDI platform,"
said Steven Jenkins, Webmaster of the www.windows95.com Web site. "A
single Pentium PC running the Apache-BSDI combo routinely handles over
2.2 million hits per day, while consuming less than 40 percent of the
CPU's capacity."

Hmm, I wonder if Steven is going to be called to the "Principal's
Office" for this?

See:  http://www.bsdi.com/products/internet-server/press/19960213.html

I want to point out that this has been going on for a long time, and
when it was discovered last year, MS apparently locked-out even the
telnet prompts on their servers so people couldn't tell what OS they
were using.

Hey, Windows is fine if you want to handle 10,000 hits a day and want
to run TruSpace or Corel Draw, but leave the heavy computing power to
Unix for hard-core web applications - even Microsoft knows this.
Windows is great for clients, but not for servers.

Re: hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Posted by William Denton <bu...@io.org>.
On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Jeremie Miller wrote (about win95.com):

> same machiene, which was maxed out).  So, it is not affiliated with
> Microsoft in any way and has always been running BSDI/Apache.

On a somewhat related note, I noticed today that Pat Buchanan (one of
the guys running to be the Republican candidate for President of the
U.S.) has a web site at http://www.buchanan.org (org!) and he's
running Apache 1.0.3.  www.dole96.org is running Apache 1.0.2.  Is
there a relationship between web servers and potential winners here?
Dole is lagging slightly behind Buchanan on both counts, I believe ...

www.forbes96.com is running NCSA 1.3 - which had its day in the sun
but was soon suprassed and is now behind the times - and
www.gramm96.org is using "BESTWWWD/1.0," whatever that is - maybe
that's why he had to drop out early?

Hmmm.

Bill
(Watching from Canada)
--------------
William Denton | <URL:http://www.io.org/~buff/> | buff@io.org | Caveat lector.
		    "Let's keep the party polite."

Re: hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Posted by Jeremie Miller <jm...@mwci.net>.
Rob Hartill wrote:

> Wisdom wrote:
>
> Not that I want to start any flame wars, but if there ever was a
> testimonial to the performance differences between Unix and Windows,
> see this:
>
> "The popular www.windows95.com Web site runs on the BSDI platform,"
> said Steven Jenkins, Webmaster of the www.windows95.com Web site. "A
> single Pentium PC running the Apache-BSDI combo routinely handles over
> 2.2 million hits per day, while consuming less than 40 percent of the
> CPU's capacity."

I was the admin of the machiene that windows95.com was running on untill Jan. 15th(when
Steve got his own machiene(s).  Here is the story...  early last summer, it was running
on NT and was at http://www.mwci.net/win95/ and recieved 10-20K hits daily.  On a whim,
steve tried registering windows95.com and it came through!  We upgraded the P75(32MB ram)
to BSDI+Apache 0.6.? and the hits have steadily climbed untill about 1.8M by Jan.(on the
same machiene, which was maxed out).  So, it is not affiliated with Microsoft in any way
and has always been running BSDI/Apache.

Jeremie Miller
jmiller@mwci.net

PS, the logfiles were hell to manage(>150MB/day)!