Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Greg Pietro <gr...@fairchildsemi.com> on 2001/11/07 21:07:05 UTC

os-hpux/8705: httpd daemon creates a defunct shared memory segment when started

>Number:         8705
>Category:       os-hpux
>Synopsis:       httpd daemon creates a defunct shared memory segment when started
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have compile 3 different version of apache 1.3.1, 1.3.20, and 1.3.22 with to different version of gcc 2.8.1 and gcc 2.9.5.  All create a defunct shared memory segment when started.

example:

Note:  The capital "D" indicates that the segment is defunct, or that a segment has been deleted with proccesses still attached

# ipcs -pm
IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Wed Nov  7 14:57:20 2001
T      ID     KEY        MODE        OWNER     GROUP  CPID  LPID
Shared Memory:
m    5123 0x00000000 D-rw-------       web     psoft  3637  3637

# ps -fp 3637
     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY       TIME COMMAND
    root  3637     1  0  Oct 29  ?         1:23 /opt/apache/sbin/httpd
>How-To-Repeat:
The problem is very easy to repeat.  Just compile apache with the standard directives and start the httpd daemon (apachectl start). I have reproduced it on a hp-ux 10.20 and 11.0 system.
>Fix:
A shared memory segment is defunct when the associated shared memory segment has been removed, however there are processes still attached to it.  You can probably fix it by detaching all the proccesses from the segment before deleting it.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]