Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com> on 2010/02/26 02:25:58 UTC

Webconsole hanging

Have been experiencing an intermittent hanging problem when I try to
connect to a felix web console. By hanging I mean - connecting to the
url produces a blank webpage - no errors just a blank page.    Sometimes
it works and other times not (its around a 50% failure rate.)  When I
make a connection to a newly started framework's webconsole and I get a
hang the only thing I can do is to restart the framework.  (I am using
Karaf with felix)

The connection string I use is
http://hostname:8080/system/console/bundles and the bundles that I am
using are org.apache.felix.webconsole-2.0.6.jar and
pax-web-jetty-bundle-0.7.1.jar.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
John

Re: Webconsole hanging

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

While I have not taken thread dumps, I do not believe that my system is
stuck in a loop as I can access the normal karaf instance with a remote
client and see that all bundles are resolved and working.  Problem
appears to only affect the webconsole at the 'home' url to felix.

A little more background as to what I am doing, may highlight the
problem better.

My karaf host system is a Debian live running on a headless compact
flash based intel (like) processor.  The Debian OS live boots to a
memory based disk, so each boot of the system is to a pristine OS
state.  The karaf framework 1.2.0 is configured to start as a service.
The system sole purpose is to host felix-karaf and the main interaction
with the system is via the webconsole (ssh if this fails).

The only variable that I see for the working attempts versus the not
working attempts is the time lag between when the system boots up to
when I browse to the console.   (I am not counting the seconds so
perhaps I am requesting a page at a particularly bad time which causes
the failure? Although I have waited at varying lengths and I still do
not discern a pattern based on length of duration.)

Should mention that even when I do get a blank page at the
http://hostname:8080/system/console/bundles url I can go to a parent
path of that url and get a jetty error telling me the page is not
accessible.  From that I also see that Jetty is working.

I am running Firefox as my browser - wonder if there is a browser /
webconsole issue here someplace?

thanks for your help,

John

Re: Webconsole hanging

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 2/26/10 7:41 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:25 AM, John E. Conlon<jc...@verticon.com>  wrote:
>
>> Have been experiencing an intermittent hanging problem when I try to connect
>> to a felix web console. By hanging I mean - connecting to the url produces a
>> blank webpage - no errors just a blank page.    Sometimes it works and other
>> times not (its around a 50% failure rate.)  When I make a connection to a
>> newly started framework's webconsole and I get a hang the only thing I can
>> do is to restart the framework.  (I am using Karaf with felix)...
>>
> Could it be that your system is stuck in a loop like FELIX-1967 ?
>
> I've seen similar symptoms when experiencing that problem, the console
> appears to be stuck because it's waiting on locks that are held for a
> very long time due to Resolver.findConsistentClassSpace running in
> circles.
>
> If that's the case, thread dumps every few seconds would show that
> method active at various stages, and CPU usage would be high.

And if that turns out to be the case, let me know if you can describe
how to reproduce it so I can test it.

-> richard

Re: Webconsole hanging

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM, John E. Conlon <jc...@verticon.com> wrote:
>> karaf@root> start 3
>> karaf@root> start 37
> After that I WAS able to connect to the webconsole.
>
> Start levels?

Start levels shouldn't make a difference AFAIK, the console should
work if started before or after the jetty bundle...looks like
something's wrong between those two bundles, or maybe something else
is registering a servlet on the same path as the web console, and
getting in the way?

-Bertrand

Re: Webconsole hanging

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
Hi Bertrand and Richard,

Did a further experiment after encountering the hang ...
> karaf@root> list | grep Web
> [   3] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] OPS4J Pax Web - Jetty
> Bundle (0.7.1)
> [  37] [Active     ] [            ] [   40] Apache Felix Web
> Management Console (2.0.6)
> karaf@root> stop 3
> You are about to access system bundle 3.  Do you want to continue
> (yes/no): yes
> karaf@root> list | grep Web
> [   3] [Resolved   ] [            ] [   30] OPS4J Pax Web - Jetty
> Bundle (0.7.1)
> [  37] [Active     ] [            ] [   40] Apache Felix Web
> Management Console (2.0.6)
> karaf@root> stop 37
> You are about to access system bundle 37.  Do you want to continue
> (yes/no): yes
> karaf@root> list | grep Web
> [   3] [Resolved   ] [            ] [   30] OPS4J Pax Web - Jetty
> Bundle (0.7.1)
> [  37] [Resolved   ] [            ] [   40] Apache Felix Web
> Management Console (2.0.6)
> karaf@root> start 3
> You are about to access system bundle 3.  Do you want to continue
> (yes/no): yes
> karaf@root> start 37
> You are about to access system bundle 37.  Do you want to continue
> (yes/no): yes
After that I WAS able to connect to the webconsole.

Start levels?

best regards,
John

Re: Webconsole hanging