Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Raghav Karol <rk...@issuu.com> on 2012/08/13 17:49:31 UTC

Solr 4.0.0, query, default port not changeable

Hello *,

Running Solr 4.0.0-ALHPA we have an issue with queries.

We would like to use multiple jvm's to host solr cores but can not because the queries ignore the jetty.port settings. The following is they query generated using the admin interface, solr is running in jetty under port 8080.

http://solr-cluster-1.issuu.com:8983/solr/core0/select?q=*%3A*&wt=xml

Has anyone tried to change to deploy solr using an external jetty, i.e., not the example start.jar on a port other than 8983?

--
Raghav

Re: Solr 4.0.0, query, default port not changeable

Posted by Raghav Karol <rk...@issuu.com>.
On Aug 13, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : We would like to use multiple jvm's to host solr cores but can not
> : because the queries ignore the jetty.port settings. The following is
> : they query generated using the admin interface, solr is running in jetty
> : under port 8080.
> :
> : http://solr-cluster-1.issuu.com:8983/solr/core0/select?q=*%3A*&wt=xml

Problem is fixed, I needed to delete all zookeeper data and restart zookeeper for the changes to take effect. The SolrAdmin -> Cloud -> Graph showed the problem.

> can you please elaborate on what you mean...

Yes, we have a 32 shard solr 4.0.0 deployment running in two jetty processes on different hosts. Each process hosts 16 solr cores; each core one shard.
We want to find an optimal configuration of cores to jetty processes; so something in between

jetty:8001 -- solr-core1 -- shard1
jetty:8082 -- solr-core2 -- shard2
jetty:8032 -- solr-core32 -- shard32

AND

jetty:8000 -- solr-core1 -- shard1
                      solr-core2 -- shard2
                      solr-core32 -- shard32

So far we have tried the latter.

> how exactly are you running solr?
Using solr version 4.0.0-ALHPA on two physical hosts solr-cluster-1 and solr-cluster-2.
solr-cluster-1 has one jetty process, running 16 solr cores
solr-cluster-2 has one jetty process, running 16 solr cores
Using 32 shards

Yes solr-cluster-X is big iron :-)

> how are you configuring jetty?
Excerpt from .../jetty/start.init

# JMX monitoring to connect via jconsole
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9004
-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=solr-cluster-1
-Djetty.port=8080
# Solr
-Dbootstrap_confdir=/apps/solr/core0/conf
-Dcollection.configName=core0
-Dsolr.solr.home=/apps/solr/core0
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-DnumShards=32
# Zoo keeper
-Dzkhost=solr-cluster-1:2181,solr-cluster-2:2181
# Jvm
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Xmx8G
-Xms8G
-server
-verbose:gc
-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution
-XX:+PrintCommandLineFlags
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:ParallelCMSThreads=2
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
-XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=80

> how are you executing the query?
> where did you see that URL?

Both through the admin interface and via curl

Posted by Raghav Karol <rk...@issuu.com>.
Hi Jack,

Problem is fixed :-)

Thanks for the pointer, yes, I tried the suggestion in the email below as well as adding -Djetty.port=<port-num> in jetty's start.ini file.

The problem was  the shard and core information was being taken from zookeeper; I have a two host zookeeper ensemble. Deleting zookeeper data and restarting with new configuration worked.

Thanks!

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Did you try this: