Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2022/03/20 14:19:06 UTC

[SUMMARY] [DISCUSS] Radical Fast Forward to 3.5.4

I'd like to distill what has been discussed and favored so far by
respondees and how we should proceed in the future:

* Cut off old ties and favorize move to 3.5.4 as a new baseline
* Have downstream users follow us and us follow them
* Establish proper documentation on our baseline rules
* Some have even expressed the opinion to raise the base to 3.8.x

I think going from 3.5.4 to 3.8.x is much easier than from 3.0.x or 3.1.x.

Next steps:
* Create cwiki page [1] which documents the status of each component and
plugin requiring a specific Maven version and a JIRA issue which
documents ugrade to Maven 3.5.4
* Discuss how to properly document those changes

Michael

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Baseline+Upgrade+to+Maven+3.5.4