Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz> on 2003/06/05 00:33:56 UTC

Tree Components (and the Misko Hevery TreeComponent)

What are people using for a tree type component these days?  In early
January I was using the component written by Misko Hevery, which I'm not
entirely sure is available or being maintained anymore.

I've got the code to this component, and have made a few changes to it.
Long (or actually, short :-) - I would like to see a good tree component
added to the standard Tapestry distribution (time for all you experts to
tell me that one exists already and I can't see it / have not found it !!!)

Regards
Neil Clayton

Re: Tacos-Tree Component

Posted by "F. Da Costa Gomez" <dc...@fixed.com>.
Hi,
See y'r back. Hope you had an ok holiday.

Got the tree working in the way we discussed.
So I would love to send you a copy to check its usefulness but guess
what? Switch to 3.0 stuffed me up completely.
First I am going to go back to 2.4-a5 have a close look again and then
send it 2u.

Sound ok?

Cheers,
Fermin DCG

btw, I also figuredout how to traverse with cursorkeys cheaply (not
implemented yet though)

Tacos-Tree Component

Posted by tsvetelin <ts...@rushmore-digital.com>.
Hi,

Re: Tree Components (and the Misko Hevery TreeComponent)

Posted by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz>.

Re: Tree Components (and the Misko Hevery TreeComponent)

Posted by "F. Da Costa Gomez" <dc...@fixed.com>.
HI,

Tell u what, I quickly grabbed the files I thought were relevant.
Of the top I can't remember doing anything funny at all (maybe the thing
shouldn't work at all, but it does 8-) ).

I will still go through the whole and clean up during the weekend but i
figured maybe it can be of use to you anyway?

Lemme know how u go.

Cheers,
Fermin DCG

Posted by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz>.

On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 9:41 pm, F. Da Costa Gomez wrote:
> [...]
>
> So, what do you exactly mean by: "How do you use it INSIDE an existing
> Body tag"
> I'm using the tree within a popup or a frame (for now that is). Maybe
> thats the reason why I'm not folowing exactly?
>
> Tell ye what though.
> 2Mrow I have to be present at a wedding  :-( so I'll try to clean the
> code up a bit over the weekend and post the src to the list (wish
> tsvetelin was back already so he could he a look as well).
>
> Cheers,
> Fermin DCG
>
> Neil Clayton wrote:
> >
> >Great.
> >
> >I'm using it to present the source(s) and destination(s) for a backup
> >application, whereby each location can have rules associated with it. I
> > could do this with other UI components, but I like trees and it feels
> > natural.
> >
> >One question tho:
> >How do you use it INSIDE an existing Body tag? The TreeView (which also
> >contains the script component) has it's own, and it is not possibe in
> >Tapestry to nest body components....
> >
> >also the build.xml appears to build an incorrect jar - did you find this
> > as well?
> >
> >Neil
> >
> >On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 11:41 am, F. Da Costa Gomez wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Y'r abs right, it does work quite well.
> >>Dunno what y'll be using it for but I've just finished (or almost at
> >>least) making the thing selectable.
> >>Meaning? a checkbox next to every node so that a user can do 'check'
> >>(uncheck).
> >>Since less traffic is better I had to implement some additional js as
> >>well make sure that the server is only hit when a branch node is clicked.
> >>In order to 'remember what had been selected (and possibly hidden from
> >>sight again) I had to expand the state-model to incorporate a 'checked
> >>or not' memory.
> >>Actual 'checked' processing takes place on submission of the tree to a
> >>listener (this is when the whole thing gets processed for the goal the
> >>tree is being used). Again, this saves a lot of rendering and traffic.
> >>Also prepping the thing to include cursorkey-navigation (got some js
> >>snippets but still have to add them, nice to have).
> >>
> >>Done all that so there is only one thing left and that is updating the
> >>originating page with the results fromm the tree.
> >>Again, dunno what your aim is but if you got an idea on it plz don't
> >>hesitate.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Fermin DCG
> >>
> >>btw. Wanna get the code checked by tsvetelin prior to 'handing' it to
> >>tacos 'official like'.
> >>
> >>Neil Clayton wrote:

> >- --
> >Regards,
> >Neil Clayton
> >
> >(PS: If you see strange text you don't understand underneath my email,
> > don't worry - it's just my PGP signature)

- --

Posted by "F. Da Costa Gomez" <dc...@fixed.com>.
Whoah dude,

Posted by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz>.

Great.

I'm using it to present the source(s) and destination(s) for a backup
application, whereby each location can have rules associated with it. I could
do this with other UI components, but I like trees and it feels natural.

One question tho:
How do you use it INSIDE an existing Body tag? The TreeView (which also
contains the script component) has it's own, and it is not possibe in
Tapestry to nest body components....

also the build.xml appears to build an incorrect jar - did you find this as
well?

Neil

On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 11:41 am, F. Da Costa Gomez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Y'r abs right, it does work quite well.
> Dunno what y'll be using it for but I've just finished (or almost at
> least) making the thing selectable.
> Meaning? a checkbox next to every node so that a user can do 'check'
> (uncheck).
> Since less traffic is better I had to implement some additional js as
> well make sure that the server is only hit when a branch node is clicked.
> In order to 'remember what had been selected (and possibly hidden from
> sight again) I had to expand the state-model to incorporate a 'checked
> or not' memory.
> Actual 'checked' processing takes place on submission of the tree to a
> listener (this is when the whole thing gets processed for the goal the
> tree is being used). Again, this saves a lot of rendering and traffic.
> Also prepping the thing to include cursorkey-navigation (got some js
> snippets but still have to add them, nice to have).
>
> Done all that so there is only one thing left and that is updating the
> originating page with the results fromm the tree.
> Again, dunno what your aim is but if you got an idea on it plz don't
> hesitate.
>
> Cheers,
> Fermin DCG
>
> btw. Wanna get the code checked by tsvetelin prior to 'handing' it to
> tacos 'official like'.

- --

Posted by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz>.

Re: Tree Components (and the Misko Hevery TreeComponent)

Posted by Shantanu Deo <sh...@elixir-it.com>.
have you tried the tacos-tree component yet ?

There is Tree component implementation that is part of tacos project:
http://tacos.sourceforge.net/tacos-tree
There are 2 simple demos too (please visit a
http://tree.rushmore-register.com/tree for file system demo).