Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2019/05/13 16:52:35 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Retire Maven Artifact Resolution API (Maven2)

Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1: Karl Heinz Marbaise, Anders Hammar, Hervé BOUTEMY, Tamás Cservenák, Gabriel Belingueres, Manfred Moser, Bernd Prager, Enrico Olivelli, Guang Chao, Tibor Digana, Sylwester Lachiewicz, Robert Scholte

PMC quorum: reached

I will continue with the steps required to retire this library.

On 8-5-2019 20:25:14, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi,

The Apache Maven project consist of about 100 (sub)projects. Due to the small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects, including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven itself.
To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects and decide if it is worth maintaining.

The Maven Artifact Resolution API (maven-artifact-resolver) is a shared component that could be used to easily resolve Maven project dependencies. The last (and only) released version is 1.0 in September 2009.( https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-artifact-resolver/ [https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-artifact-resolver/] ).
This library should not be confused with Artifact Resolver (maven-resolver), previously known as Aether. As you can see the naming will cause confusion.
The library that aims the same goal for Artifact Resolver is another shared component called maven-artifact-transfer (which by now is not just the transfer part or Artifact Resolver, but a bridge for both Sonatype Aether as used in Maven 3.0.x and Eclipse Aether as used in Maven 3.1.x+. This way Maven plugins and extensions can be compatible with any Maven 3 release)

I therefore propose that we retire the maven-artifact-resolver.

I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should update the documentation and the freeze the codebase.

The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html [https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]

The vote is open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
[ ] -1 No, because...