Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Dan <a...@patnode.net> on 2007/02/13 20:59:32 UTC

New Development Idea

Hello,

I'm a SpamAssassin user wanting to join SpamAssassin development.  I
have a new scoring approach I consider to be revolutionary, that I
want to debut on SpamAssassin.  It would replace the current weight
based scoring system, combing much greater accuracy with less work.

I'm a believer in open source but am unfamiliar with the SA-dev
community, so I'm not sure where to begin.  I would appreciate advice
and suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: New Development Idea

Posted by Dan <a...@patnode.net>.
On Feb 13, 2007, at 12:20, Sidney Markowitz wrote:

> Dan wrote, On 14/2/07 8:59 AM:
>> I'm a believer in open source but am unfamiliar with the SA-dev
>> community, so I'm not sure where to begin.
>
> My opinion is that all you have to do is 1) read the developer
> oriented
> pages on our wiki (start with the link for developers on the home page
> of http://wiki.spamassassin.org ) then 2) create an account on our
> Bugzilla database at http://bugzilla.spamassassin.org then 3) file
> a CLA
> following the instructions you see when you register the Bugzilla
> account, which takes care of licensing issues allowing us to accept
> your
> code submissions, then 4) open a ticket on Bugzilla of type RFE
> (request
> for enhancement) in which you explain your revolutionary new scoring
> system and attach patches to our existing code base that implement it.
>
> Once you do that people could look at, try out, discuss, criticize,
> enhance, etc. until we have something ready to be committed if it gets
> that far.
>
> Do that enough times with enough good results and you will be in
> danger
> of being invited to have commit access to the source code so you
> can do
> the work of checking in your code instead of bothering us about it :-)
>
>  -- sidney

Awesome Sidney, thank you for all the detail.  I don't know how to
code, but will take the process as far as a I can.

Regards,
Dan

Re: New Development Idea

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.