Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/21 20:30:54 UTC

IDE release

Hi,

I assume we should work on getting the code into a state where we could
release a (beta) of (Java) IDE. When the platform/alpha is released, I'll
change the release job:
https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-release/

to build the IDE (I'll let it build platform separately as well) and run
the appropriate tests, including "ant verify-libs-and-licenses" (which
checks that every external binary has a license file, and that the license
file passes some basic checks). I ran verify-libs-and-licenses manually,
and there is (unsurprisingly) a lot of failures. I fixed a few here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/285

Among other problems there are several (L)GPL libraries we will need to
solve somehow besides javac:
db.drivers/external/mysql-connector-java-5.1.23-license.txt
hibernate4lib/external/hibernate-4.3.1-lib-license.txt
libs.jshell.compile/external/nb-jshell-license.txt
 (presumably compile-time only at this time)
o.jdesktop.beansbinding/external/beansbinding-1.2.1-license.txt

My question is whether someone would be willing to work on the GPL
libraries (I personally know very little about the db+hibernate ones); or
on cleaning up the verify-and-licenses (I don't think this is big enough to
enter the violations into a wiki, but there's quite a few of them, so it
will take some time to clean them up).

(When verify-libs-and-licenses is clean, we need to look at DEPENDENCIES
and fix any problems we spot, but I don't think it makes much sense to look
at that when there are significant verify-libs-and-licenses failures.)

Thanks,
    Jan

Re: IDE release

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
If you know db was just an example then you should have understood my message disregarding the particular example.

Note that *not releasing* a module is not the same as *removing* a module.

I'm confident you will take care of everything.

--emi
​

Re: IDE release

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey,

Re: IDE release

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
There is no such 'resolution'. nb-javac is the only module important enough to have a first-run/jit installer and we have received a go-ahead from LEGAL. The go-ahead was *not* for all (L)GPL modules we might also have in the current codebase.

The goal, imho, it to have a public NetBeans installer with Java 9 support for our users, preferably in 2017. In order to accomplish that, cutting arbitrary secondary modules/features seems an acceptable tradeoff.

The java cluster depends on the ide cluster which has a *lot* of modules. Most of those are not necessary to make a Java IDE with Java 9, Maven, etc.

--emi

Re: IDE release

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey,

Re: IDE release

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:53 PM Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>
wrote:

> I don't have any code yet but the idea is simple: just start excluding
> whole modules from the ide/java cluster.

Would a j2se / j2ee cluster split handle all the problems?  Would that be
pulling too much out of a first release?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: IDE release

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I agree with that.

Gj

Re: IDE release

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Re: IDE release

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: IDE release

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Re: IDE release

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

Re: IDE release

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Re: IDE release

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I would assume it should be possible to build both - the JavaIDE and a
generic IDE at the same time.

If we can get the GenericStuff working faster than the JavaIDE - we could
decide to release that first.

Sven

--
Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* Java Champion
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: http://www.jug-bodensee.de
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Re: IDE release

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Is there a way that we could look at doing both?

i.e.  In parallel do the generic IDE and look at how we do the Plugin
Manager/Portal.

Once those are completed we could branch off the Generic
Modules/Plugin Manager and then Release this branch.

From there, we could work to get the Java and other clusters released

Re: IDE release

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: IDE release

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
From a personal standpoint, I'd like to see a Java IDE as soon as

RE: IDE release

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.
That is a very good idea, Gj!

A related question: maybe we should move to the “ide” cluster first and
forget about anything language-specific, including Java, until we have
released the generic non-language specific IDE features?

Or, as a counter argument, would that not be significant enough to justify
its own process?

From the usage point of view, having a generic platform is great and in the

Re: IDE release

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
A related question: maybe we should move to the “ide” cluster first and
forget about anything language-specific, including Java, until we have
released the generic non-language specific IDE features?

Or, as a counter argument, would that not be significant enough to justify
its own process?

From the usage point of view, having a generic platform is great and in the