Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Jon Malkin <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/12/01 19:04:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] incomplete API change in previous version

We dropped serialization of unions from (most) c++ sketches with the move
to 2.0, but we have a JIRA from a while ago that notes we forgot to remove
deserialize() form hll_union.

It's easy enough to remove the methods. But it's actually possible to pass
in a regular HLL sketch to deserialize(), since the union just serialized
its internal gadget (in this case I believe it's _always_ a proper HLL
sketch; that's not true for other union gadgets).

So would we need to move to 3.0 just for removing the deserialize()
methods? I think strict semantic versioning would say yes? We haven't had
it marked as officially deprecated, although the JIRA suggests it was
already kinda of obvious.

I removed the code locally and didn't even need to change unit tests or the
python wrapper. So I can do the PR, but I'm not sure that we want to jump
to 3.0 just for this change.

Thoughts?

  jon

Re: [DISCUSS] incomplete API change in previous version

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
This sounds more like a bug fix so moving to 3.0 shouldn't be necessary.

Lee.