Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil Labonte <ph...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/01 20:18:36 UTC

How big can a repository get?

I have a 30GB repository with version 1.4.

What is the size limit before I should worry?

Phil

Re: How big can a repository get?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 15:23, DeMarco, Alex <Al...@suny.edu> wrote:
> How many revisions?  Ours is about 25gig & 101,100 revisions

Both Apache & KDE are well over 600K revisions IIRC.

Posted by "DeMarco, Alex" <Al...@suny.edu>.
How many revisions?  Ours is about 25gig & 101,100 revisions

- Alex

Re: Re: Antwort: How big can a repository get?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 05:05,  <An...@versit.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I want to stop this thread because the issue is clear
>
>         everyone not able to see this issue I would recomment the following
> test
>

>         1. create an empty rep
>         2. fill it with 100M Data using multiple files
>               3. do a dump
>         4. make tags with svn copy using the whole rep
>         5. do a dump again
>
>         -> you will see that the size differ

As I posted yesterday, I do not observe this behavior. The trunk for
one of my projects is about 1GB, exported. I've made at least 36 tags.
The  dumpfile for the *entire repository* is only 12GB. If I were to
be doing whatever it is that you're doing, it should be at least 37GB.

Antwort: Re: Antwort: How big can a repository get?

Posted by An...@versit.de.
Hi,

        I want to stop this thread because the issue is clear

        everyone not able to see this issue I would recomment the
following test

        1. create an empty rep
        2. fill it

Freundliche Grüße

Andreas Otto
ISV13 - Systemverantwortung Leben

Telefon 0431/603-2388
Sophienblatt 33
24114 Kiel

VersIT Versicherungs-Informatik GmbH
Gottlieb-Daimler-Str. 2, 68165 Mannheim
Registergericht: Mannheim HRB 6287
Vorsitzender der Geschäftsführung: Claus-Peter Gutt

Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>
02.12.2008 21:53

An
Andreas.Otto@versit.de
Kopie
philfromwork@gmail.com, users@subversion.tigris.org
Thema
Re: Antwort: How big can a repository get?

 Andreas> Hi, the problem ist not the absolute size.

 Andreas> My repository is ~7G but it is for me unusuable because I
 Andreas> can not dump it. -> no backup possible

 Andreas> The reason is that I create ~5 tags a day using "svn copy
 Andreas> ...." and these tags create every day an additional
 Andreas> dump-size of ~10G even if no files were changed.

That's odd.  I can't see why tags should do that; they should produce
just a few bytes of dump data.

For what it's worth, we do backup with "svnadmin hotcopy" and then tar
up the copy.  Works great; the reposity is perhaps twice the size you
have.

                 paul

Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: How big can a repository get?

Posted by Marko Käning <mk...@mch.osram.de>.
>         -> you will see that the size differ

As it was said in a previous post I would not recommend a dump for backup
purposes! I did use them a while ago too, but I skip this now. Instead I
use hotcopies.

Dumps makes sense in cases when a normal "svn hotcopy"-ied repo would not
be readable by a newer svn version, or when an automatic optimization to a
newer format is impossible.

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

Posted by Phil Labonte <ph...@gmail.com>.
Yes I am using FSFS.

good to know.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
kmradke@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> "Phil Labonte" <ph...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/01/2008 02:18:36 PM:
>
>> I have a 30GB repository with version 1.4.
>>
>> What is the size limit before I should worry?
>
> Our largest is 112G.  If you are using FSFS, the biggest
> limitation is probably the file system (individual
> revision size and number of revisions, since they
> are mapped to individual files in the file system.)

FSFS packing (just merged to trunk today, and now due in 1.6) will help solve
this problem by squashing completed shards into a single file, rather than
individual ones.

-Hyrum

Re: How big can a repository get?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 15:37, Torben H. Nielsen <to...@t-hoerup.dk> wrote:
> Maybe some of these testemonials can be merged to a faq entry and put in
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html ??

Perhaps http://subversion.tigris.org/testimonials.html would be more
appropriate for testimonials :)

Posted by "Torben H. Nielsen" <to...@t-hoerup.dk>.
Maybe some of these testemonials can be merged to a faq entry and put in
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html ??

Torben

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.