Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Schneider Jürg <ju...@helbling.ch> on 2005/03/17 07:00:32 UTC

Daily safes of my work

Hello

Usually when working on a change of a code it takes more than just one day to finish the job. With most SCM tools like MS Visual Source Safe you have to safe your daily work by zipping all the files to a network drive, CD or other media. Checking in the files is no solution. That would change the current project configuration for all other software developpers.

The SCM-tool AccuRev provides an easy and conveiant way to overcome this problem. It uses the command keep to save my private configuration in the database without influencing the projects configuration. So it is a tree stage control system:
- project configuration (official project in the database) (command "commit")
- developer configuration (private space in the database to safe the developers daily work) (command "keep")
- developer workspace (working directory on the local harddisk)

Does SVN provide a similar feature?

Best regards,
Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Jürg Schneider

Helbling Technik AG
Hubstrasse 24
CH-9500 Wil
Telefon +41 71 913 8240
Telefax +41 71 913 8210
Zentrale +41 71 913 8211
juerg.schneider@helbling.ch
www.helbling.ch

Re: Daily safes of my work

Posted by Robert Mohr <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:00:32 +0100, Schneider Jürg
<ju...@helbling.ch> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Usually when working on a change of a code it takes more than just one day to finish the job. With most SCM tools like MS Visual Source Safe you have to safe your daily work by zipping all the files to a network drive, CD or other media. Checking in the files is no solution. That would change the current project configuration for all other software developpers.
>
> The SCM-tool AccuRev provides an easy and conveiant way to overcome this problem. It uses the command keep to save my private configuration in the database without influencing the projects configuration. So it is a tree stage control system:
> - project configuration (official project in the database) (command "commit")
> - developer configuration (private space in the database to safe the developers daily work) (command "keep")
> - developer workspace (working directory on the local harddisk)
>
> Does SVN provide a similar feature?

See the chapter on branching and merging in the Subversion book:
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04.html>.

Basically you copy the trunk of the source tree to another area of the
repository, make your changes there (regularly committing), and when
you're done you apply your changes back to the trunk.

Re: Daily safes of my work

Posted by Tom Mornini <tm...@infomania.com>.

Re: Daily safes of my work

Posted by Dominic Anello <da...@danky.com>.
On 2005-03-21 15:28:12 +0100, Marcus Rohrmoser wrote:
> Read about the "branch" concept in the svn book - does that fit your needs?
>
> Greetings,
----8<----

To expand on this, what I've done is to create a /users directory at the
top level of my repository.  Every user gets their own folder in this
directory.  They can do pretty much whatever they want there.  One thing
we use it for is to create short lived branches for just this kind of
work-in-progress backup.  When the user is confident in their change,
they merge it back to the main working branch.

-Dominic

--
In the final reckoning there is only love, only that divinity. That we
are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.

Re: Daily safes of my work

Posted by Marcus Rohrmoser <mr...@gmx-gmbh.de>.