Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by foo <fo...@eek.org> on 2000/03/09 03:25:50 UTC

initial questions.

These aren't specifically development related questions, but there doesn't
seem to be a tomcat users list, or any forum more appropriate. If there is
and someone would be kind enough to point it out to me, that'd be great.

1) Can Tomcat be run as a user other than root?

I've tried running it as nobody, and it seems to work, but there are
some errors (?) like:

Problem connecting to admin registry

which dont make any sense to me.

2) Does Tomcat really not log to any files?

Does it not have anything at all interesting to say?

3) Documentation?

Are there any docs besides the very small FAQ and the Servlet/JSP API?

I can imagine that these docs would cover things like explanation of the
server.{xml,dtd}, web.{xml,dtd}, and tomcat.conf config files, the
.tomcatrc file, etc.

I suppose that's all for now.

-foo

RE: initial questions.

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
I can't answer the first (I'm not a UNIX bod).

As for 2), if you are running Tomcat 3.1, Tomcat will create a 'logs'
directory off-of the directory you start tomcat from. So if you are in
c:\tomcat (on an NT system) and do bin\startup - you'll get a c:\tomcat\logs
directory - this will contain servlet.log, jasper.log and tomcat.log.

With 3) currently, the answer is no - your best bet is to read the archives
to these lists and ask any questions here,

Kevin Jones
www.develop.com