Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.INVALID> on 2021/11/26 06:20:03 UTC

[Proposal] Add blog contribution guidelines to apisix-website repository

Hi community,

Currently apisix-website repository[1] does not have a set of blog contribution guidelines. It could block potential contributors who want to write blogs but cannot find the proper way to do it. As I was reaching out to other open-source communities in the last two weeks, I went through some of theirs website and blog repositories, and found some valuable guidelines that could be implemented in apisix-website repository[1], such as TiDB Documentation Contributing Guide[2].

I would like to propose adding contribution guidelines to apisix-website repository[1], which will cover the following aspects:

1 What can you contribute
1.1 Add a new blog
1.2 Fix typos or formats

2 Contribute style guides
2.1 Commit message style
2.1 Pull request title style

3 How to contribute properly via git command line

Feel free to share your views, suggestions, or anything else. Thank you!

Regards,

Yilin

[1]https://github.com/apache/apisix-website

[2]https://github.com/pingcap/docs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Re: [Proposal] Add blog contribution guidelines to apisix-website repository

Posted by yeliang wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Good suggestion!

Can a fourth item be added to the guide?

4. Blog catalog
4.1 personal growth
4.2 technical principle
4.3 function description
4.4、……

Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.invalid> 于2021年11月26日周五 下午2:20写道:

Posted by jing li <li...@gmail.com>.
Nice proposal +1~
There are indeed many people who have written  blogs related to APISIX ,
but don’t know how to submit to our website.

回复: [Proposal] Add blog contribution guidelines to apisix-website repository

Posted by Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.INVALID>.
Hi Serendipity96 and Yeliang,

Thank you for your suggestions!

For the suggestion of adding a blog template,  please see Blog's header information[1]. I have added a template and explainations.

For the suggestion of adding blog catelogs, it is very inspirational. Catalogs are already implemented, and I add some description[2] about them in the guideline as well. The catelogs are essentially implemented using 'tags'. But after some researching, tags has certain limitations[3] when the input is Chinese. Then this suggestion is partially solved. The remaining questions are:

1. Should we divide tags into English and Chinese?
2. Are the tags we have enough? If not, what tags should we add?
3. How to distribute tags to blogs in certain standards or rules? Like [2], we have a set of rules when applying tags to blogs. When we add new tags, it is always good to develop rules of applying them as well.

I would prefer to leave them as it is right now, and open another discussion specifically for the blog catalogs' topic, since it is too much for a pull request.

Regards,
Yilin

[1]https://github.com/apache/apisix-website/pull/776/files#diff-eca12c0a30e25b4b46522ebf89465a03ba72a03f540796c979137931d8f92055R44-R56
[2]https://github.com/apache/apisix-website/pull/776/files#diff-eca12c0a30e25b4b46522ebf89465a03ba72a03f540796c979137931d8f92055R86-R97
[3]https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/430942362
________________________________
Great idea!  I also think we should add contribution guidelines, it will
help new partners.

What do you think to add a blog template? just like:

1 What can you contribute
1.1 the way to add a new blog
1.2 Fix typos or formats
1.3 blog template

Looking forward++!

Best Regards,
@Serendipity96<https://github.com/Serendipity96>

Sylvia <sy...@gmail.com> 于2021年11月26日周五 14:27写道:

Posted by Serendipity 96 <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yilin,

Posted by Sylvia <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yilin,

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Ming just shared a report:
https://octoverse.github.com/creating-documentation/#contribution-guidelines

This report says "Why would a company want to add contribution guidelines
to its repository? When developers know how to contribute to a repository
that belongs to a different team or community, it removes ambiguity and
friction, and they are 17% more productive." So the guideline not only
provides a clear way to contribute to open source but also removes
ambiguity and friction.

Best Regards!
@ Zhiyuan Ju <https://github.com/juzhiyuan>

Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org> 于2021年11月29日周一 上午7:37写道:

Posted by Serendipity 96 <ju...@gmail.com>.
Cool!

Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.invalid> 于2021年11月30日周二 17:43写道:

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.INVALID>.
Hi juzhiyuan,

> If possible, maybe we could also add good-first-issue list page here?

To clarify this question, do you mean adding a good-first-issue list for apisix-website repository on Apache APISIX Contribute page[1], or on the guideline mardown file?

Regards,
Yilin

[1]http://apisix.apache.org/contribute
________________________________
I also support taking apisix-website repo as an example to have a guideline
for newcomers what and how they could do.

If possible, maybe we could also add good-first-issue list page here? And
let us know if we encounter problems, where we could seek help :)

Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.invalid>于2021年11月26日 周五下午2:20写道:

> Hi community,
>

> Currently apisix-website repository[1] does not have a set of blog
> contribution guidelines. It could block potential contributors who want to
> write blogs but cannot find the proper way to do it. As I was reaching out
> to other open-source communities in the last two weeks, I went through some
> of theirs website and blog repositories, and found some valuable guidelines
> that could be implemented in apisix-website repository[1], such as TiDB
> Documentation Contributing Guide[2].
>

> I would like to propose adding contribution guidelines to apisix-website
> repository[1], which will cover the following aspects:
>

> 1 What can you contribute
> 1.1 Add a new blog
> 1.2 Fix typos or formats
>
> 2 Contribute style guides
> 2.1 Commit message style
> 2.1 Pull request title style
>
> 3 How to contribute properly via git command line
>

> Feel free to share your views, suggestions, or anything else. Thank you!
>

> Regards,
>
> Yilin
>

> [1]https://github.com/apache/apisix-website
>
> [2]https://github.com/pingcap/docs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
>
> --
来自 琚致远

Re: [Proposal] Add blog contribution guidelines to apisix-website repository

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I also support taking apisix-website repo as an example to have a guideline
for newcomers what and how they could do.

If possible, maybe we could also add good-first-issue list page here? And
let us know if we encounter problems, where we could seek help :)

Yilin Zeng <yz...@wisc.edu.invalid>于2021年11月26日 周五下午2:20写道:

> Hi community,
>

> Currently apisix-website repository[1] does not have a set of blog
> contribution guidelines. It could block potential contributors who want to
> write blogs but cannot find the proper way to do it. As I was reaching out
> to other open-source communities in the last two weeks, I went through some
> of theirs website and blog repositories, and found some valuable guidelines
> that could be implemented in apisix-website repository[1], such as TiDB
> Documentation Contributing Guide[2].
>

> I would like to propose adding contribution guidelines to apisix-website
> repository[1], which will cover the following aspects:
>

> 1 What can you contribute
> 1.1 Add a new blog
> 1.2 Fix typos or formats
>
> 2 Contribute style guides
> 2.1 Commit message style
> 2.1 Pull request title style
>
> 3 How to contribute properly via git command line
>

> Feel free to share your views, suggestions, or anything else. Thank you!
>

> Regards,
>
> Yilin
>

> [1]https://github.com/apache/apisix-website
>
> [2]https://github.com/pingcap/docs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md