Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2015/03/12 14:00:01 UTC

[DISCUSS] Name of Expression API and DataSet abstraction

Hi Folks,
as mentioned in the title, we need a good name for this. Right now the
API is called Expression API, the package is flink-expressions and the
thing on which you call operations (equivalent to DataSet or
DataStream) is called ExpressionOperation. Especially the last one is
extremely ugly.

Do you have any ideas how we should name those things? @Fabian
mentioned Relation API and Relation, as name for the thing on which
you work.

Cheers,
Aljoscha

Re: [DISCUSS] Name of Expression API and DataSet abstraction

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
I like Relation and Relation API more than Table API.
Rel is quite cryptic though :)

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Aljoscha on this. DataTable does not make a lot of sense to
me... (except for going nicely with DataSet and DataStream).

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Alexandrov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
When consensus not happening we will go with VOTE. I think we have 2
candidates of names which are table and relation.

- Henry

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
OK, as recommended by Fabian, I explain why I like Relational better =)

The concept of Relational suggest the concept of querying data based
on the relationship of different sources and the predicates/ filters
attached to them.

Or we could go more like keyword name such as "REMOQ" which stands for
Relational Model Query =P
This way is in the same spirit as Gelly as the name of the new graph modiule.

- Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hermann Gábor <re...@gmail.com>.
+1 for DataTable

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for DataTable

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Max's suggestion.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Aljoscha,

Thanks for starting the discussion. We should definitely not keep
flink-expressions.

I'm in favor of DataTable for the DataSet abstraction equivalent. For
consistency, the package name should then be flink-table. At first
sight, the name seems kind of plain but I think it is quite intuitive
because the API enables you to work in a SQL like fashion.

Best,
Max