Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Zmitko, Jan" <Ja...@Dresdner-Bank.com> on 2005/08/03 13:40:10 UTC

FOP and the XML Graphics Projekt

Hi,

I´ve a few of questions mentioned the future of FOP. The latest version of
FOP is 0.20.5 which we used in production without any problems.

- Which interests there are that FOP is a part of XMLGraphicsProjekt?
- Will be the development of FOP continued?
- What are the plans for the future of FOP?

Thanks a lot,

Jan

Re: FOP and the XML Graphics Projekt

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 03.08.2005 13:40:10 Zmitko, Jan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´ve a few of questions mentioned the future of FOP. The latest version of
> FOP is 0.20.5 which we used in production without any problems.

That's good to hear!

> - Which interests there are that FOP is a part of XMLGraphicsProjekt?

http://xml.apache.org/fop/news.html#20+October+2004+-+Creation+of+the+Apache+XML+Graphics+project

Don't worry about the XML Graphics thing too much. It's mostly
organizational and doesn't affect you as a user. But it enables us to
work more closely together with the Batik project.

> - Will be the development of FOP continued?

For long-term subscribers on fop-users like you, it should be obvious
by now that it is and will.

http://xml.apache.org/fop/status.html
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPNews

> - What are the plans for the future of FOP?

short-term:
- Create a first preview release (0.9pr1) from the redesign effort
(Trunk code in SVN) within the next two months.
- Attract new contributors.

middle-term (end of 2005):
- Stabilize codebase and add important missing features
- Work towards a 1.0 release

long-term:
- Provide the best and coolest open source XSL-FO processor available.
:-)

Jeremias Maerki