Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org> on 2019/06/14 17:26:00 UTC

re: voting / polling was Re: (Input needed by 6/13 EOD) Decision on budget request for an Outreachy pilot

+ Daniel for his $0.02 on this.

So this process documented below worked pretty well at Fundraising where
if there is something major, we try and open open discussion on the item
with a preface such as "We have a deadline of X so I'd like to have
discussion for X days, then I will start a vote for X days and make my
decision based on your input."

But the votes are more like "polling" advisers than voting because the
buck stops with Gris as the VP since we aren't a PMC.

When Daniel and I were co-VPs in Fundraising but he was volunteer and I
was paid, we used this framework with pretty good success.  Since we
aren't a PMC setting expectations that Gris has to drive the boat but
try and navigate the PMC-like structure, I thought it would help to
paste this information

*

  *

    Discuss Voting:

        Daniel brings up a concern with voting which I thought might be
        good to bang out something to get discussion started.

        Right now Daniel and I are equals and technically the only two
        binding votes.  The rest of the committee is technically
        non-binding votes similar to the Incubator PMC.  The non-binding
        votes are typically not ignored.

        For me, as a paid position, it's clearly Apache Way for me to
        defer on administrative matters to Daniel's vote hence Daniel
        can effectively veto everyone.

        I thought it would be good to mention this in writing.  I know I
        brought it up yesterday and I think I mentioned it in the action
        items.

        In general, think of our votes as information for Daniel to then
        be the final decision maker.  This is especially important in
        times like our monthly meetings if Daniel can't be present.

AI: Synopsis re Voting: Voting is just polling.  Make sure to record the
Motion for what is polled more clearly in the future.

*
Regards,
KAM

--