Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it> on 2001/08/20 15:45:48 UTC

[C2][donation] XML:DB generator

Ciao,

during the last vacation I had the time to play around with Cocoon
2 and XML:DB. XML:DB (http://www.xmldb.org) is a generic and quite
simple API for accessing XML databases/repositories, supported by
dbXML (http://www.dbxml.org) and (probably) by Ozone.

I wrote a very simple Generator for C2 based on the latest API and
on the reference implementation of the lates beta of dbXML: it's
available at the address

http://www.geocities.com/gianugo/xmldb-c2.tar.gz

I'm not posting it here because the required jars sum up to a
compressed size of more than 3 Megs (thanks mainly to Jacorb
which is used in the dbXML product): please consider it as
a donation to the project and feel free to include it if you
find it useful. Included you find the required jars, the new
code & documentation (w. patched references to the summary pages)
and a set of patches to the build.xml file in order to allow
conditional compilation of the code if the support
jars are available.

Known limit: as of now dbXML does not have LexicalHandler support:
I wrote the patches to make it work and I'm sending them to the
dbXML team, hopefully they might make it soon into the codebase.

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [C2][donation] XML:DB generator

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it>.
Dims,

thanks for the quick reply: the checkin worked out of the box,
however there is still something wrong with my code when a resource
is not found (I'm throwing a ProcessingException which is quite
weird).

I'll study tomorrow the Cocoon error handling part and will come up
with a small patch RSN.

Thanks again,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Posted by "Craeg K. Strong" <cs...@arielpartners.com>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

>since an XML:DB compliant database can be seen (roughly) as
>a "xpath-enabled" filesystem where directories are called Collections ans
>files are called Resources, it might make sense to write something like the
>DirectoryGenerator in order to query Collections and single documents. I
>plan to write such thing during this week. Another interesting work might be
>to add support for xpath directly inside the generators: this too can be
>easily done.
>
>Further on there might be a simple XSP logicsheet to allow interaction with
>the DB (adding/removing collection and resources). This can be interesting
>if coupled with XUpdate, which is supported by dbXML, yet it might take some
>more time to me, given that I have almost no experience with XSP: I have
>though some basic X:Forge components that might be easily refactored into
>logicsheets. I'll see what I can do.

Excellent!  We are putting together the next rev of our public website
and would love to apply
this technology.  For example, we have lengthy "vision" documents that
will get broken up to appear
in bite size chunks on several web pages.  XPath to the rescue!

Those same documents can also be made downloadable in PDF format in
their entirety.
This is a snap using FOP.

Finally, certain properly authorized individuals would like the ability
to modify the content
of the website on the fly via the website itself (for example using a
web kiosk at the airport).
We thought of using wikiwikiweb for this, but were dismayed at the lack
of structure and the
(gulp) tons of perl code to maintain.

Cocoon2, together with the functionality you describe above, would
enable all of this.
Way cool!

--Craeg

Re: [C2][donation] XML:DB generator

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it>.
> This sounds like just what the Doctor ordered!  We have been looking for
> a good solution to the
> problem of query/update of XML fragments within a large pool of documents.

Thanks Craeg. In order to have a full XML:DB support, though, there is still
some work to do: since an XML:DB compliant database can be seen (roughly) as

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Craeg,
If we get good feedback, patches, stress-tests, samples, docs from users like yourself i a week or
two, then we can ask for a formal [VOTE]. If not, it will be there in C2.1 repository and you guys
can port it back to C2.0 in your environment.

Thanks,
dims

--- "Craeg K. Strong" <cs...@arielpartners.com> wrote:
> giacomo wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> >>Gianugo,
> >>Thanks a ton for taking the time to submit a new Generator...I have checked in the diff's,
> .java
> >>and .xml files. Please take a look and see if anything is broken. I have not checked in any of
> the
> >>jars as this is a strictly optional component.
> >>
> >>Team,
> >>This is an optional generator. build.xml has instructions to add the optional generator only
> if
> >>the jars are present.
> >>
> >Cool work!
> >
> >Thanks Dims and Gianugo.
> >
> >Giacomo
> >
> This sounds like just what the Doctor ordered!  We have been looking for
> a good solution to the
> problem of query/update of XML fragments within a large pool of documents.
>
> Question: were you planning on making this available for a 2.0 release,
> or is it 2.1-dev?
>
> --Craeg

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI

Re: [C2][donation] XML:DB generator

Posted by "Craeg K. Strong" <cs...@arielpartners.com>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Gianugo,
> Thanks a ton for taking the time to submit a new Generator...I have checked in the diff's, .java
> and .xml files. Please take a look and see if anything is broken. I have not checked in any of the
> jars as this is a strictly optional component.
>
> Team,
> This is an optional generator. build.xml has instructions to add the optional generator only if
> the jars are present.

Cool work!

Thanks Dims and Gianugo.

Giacomo

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Gianugo,

=====

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Ciao,
>
> during the last vacation I had the time to play around with Cocoon
> 2 and XML:DB. XML:DB (http://www.xmldb.org) is a generic and quite
> simple API for accessing XML databases/repositories, supported by
> dbXML (http://www.dbxml.org) and (probably) by Ozone.
>
> I wrote a very simple Generator for C2 based on the latest API and
> on the reference implementation of the lates beta of dbXML: it's
> available at the address
>
> http://www.geocities.com/gianugo/xmldb-c2.tar.gz
>
> I'm not posting it here because the required jars sum up to a
> compressed size of more than 3 Megs (thanks mainly to Jacorb
> which is used in the dbXML product): please consider it as
> a donation to the project and feel free to include it if you
> find it useful. Included you find the required jars, the new
> code & documentation (w. patched references to the summary pages)
> and a set of patches to the build.xml file in order to allow
> conditional compilation of the code if the support
> jars are available.
>
> Known limit: as of now dbXML does not have LexicalHandler support:
> I wrote the patches to make it work and I'm sending them to the
> dbXML team, hopefully they might make it soon into the codebase.

Hi Gianugo

I've seen someone here has it already included :)

Many Thanks.

Giacomo