Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Samuru Jackson <sa...@googlemail.com> on 2010/08/16 17:35:19 UTC

Questions about Columns and Families

Hi,

I have two question regarding the usage of columns within a family:

1. Is there any limitation about the number of columns inside a column
family associated to a row (i.e. maximum number of columns)?
2. Is there any pagination possible for columns? If I have a huge
number of columns for a row I don't want to retrieve all of them at
once, but paging through them.

Thanks

/SJ

Re: Questions about Columns and Families

Posted by Andrey Stepachev <oc...@gmail.com>.
2010/8/16 Samuru Jackson <sa...@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have two question regarding the usage of columns within a family:
>
> 1. Is there any limitation about the number of columns inside a column
> family associated to a row (i.e. maximum number of columns)?

Wide family can have poor scalability, because table splits on key ranges.
If you will have very wide family it will live on 1 region server and
doesnt' slit.
Another drawback - if you you want to take some range of values
hbase will scan whole row, in opposite to keys. With compound keys
you can use scan to get range of values.

Only in trunk. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1537