Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2010/01/18 16:10:20 UTC

[Discuss] Apache Cassandra as a TLP

Greetings,

The Cassandra community has successfully voted for graduation[1]. Before
calling for a recommendation vote, I'd like to see if anyone here has
any concerns or objections, or has any feedback on the draft resolution.

Regards,

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.user/1875

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [Discuss] Apache Cassandra as a TLP

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
The relative smallness of the PMC is more a result of Cassandra's history I
think. They've started really small (basically one active committer) and
added committers gradually. Those committers have been elected in the PPMC
usually one to two months after their election, you can check the archives.
The pace has been accelerating lately so a few committers are in the
pipeline for PMC. I wouldn't read any more than that in the PMC size. For
the record, my first PPMC (ODE) was elected with more names but the same
amount of active ones. And that was a bit painful, a tight PMC will help
them get a quicker vote turnaround.

That being said, I've already mentioned on Cassandra's mailing lists that
I'd be sticking around a little longer as a member. If you see that it would
facilitate things, I'd be happy to do it as a PMC member as well.

Thanks,
Matthieu

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
I'll echo Ant's & Matthieu's +1
they are ready.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...By the way if you have a few minutes, some feedback about the resolution
>> that Eric attached would be cool...
>
> The resolution looks good to me, but the proposed PMC is really small:
>
>         * Jonathan Ellis            <jb...@apache.org>
>         * Eric Evans                <ee...@apache.org>
>         * Jun Rao                   <ju...@apache.org>
>         * Chris Goffinet            <go...@apache.org>
>
> And all of its members are currently active in Cassandra only.
>
> Would it be possible for (some of) the mentors to stay onboard for a while?
> With only 4 PMC members to start with, the risk of being unable to get
> 3 votes on issues is real.

that's a good point, Bertrand. Those that are involved in other
communities are the
mentors, like Torsten, Matthieu or Brian (according to [1]). Looks like the only
exception is "Johan Oskarsson", but I am not to familiar with the
community itself
and its activity. However I noted that Johan voted for the graduation...

I am also not sure why the proposed PMC is that small. Some try to expand
their PPMC during incubation with all the active folks (mailings and commits).
So, I am not sure on the reason why there is this "small" (P)PMC.

-Matthias

[1] http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

> -Bertrand

Matthias Wessendorf

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, the dicussion started on private as Eric mentioned and that's what
triggered the vote on dev@. We should really have re-voted the dev thread to
avoid confusion.

Anyhow, my strong opinion is that Cassandra is ready. Great community, great
contributors, dynamic and fast moving without compromising stability. I
personally have no hesitation.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 16:23 +0100, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a vote from any mentor [1] in
> that thread.
>
> The Incubator PMC counts on the mentors to evaluate the podling's
> readyness and recommend graduation. Not that we don't trust you, but
> it's a big part the mentors role - so I'd like to hear from them.

Sure. There was another thread started on cassandra-private (by a

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cassandra.html

Re: [Discuss] Apache Cassandra as a TLP

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The Cassandra community has successfully voted for graduation[1]. Before
> calling for a recommendation vote, I'd like to see if anyone here has
> any concerns or objections, or has any feedback on the draft resolution.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.user/1875

Other than the PMC makeup which is being taken care of one thing that
sometimes causes debate is the resolution words, so to highlight that
to try to avoid voting hiccups:

...creation and maintenance of open-source software related to fully
distributed storage of structured data, ...

Does anyone have any issues or comments with that?

   ...ant