Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> on 2023/04/05 17:30:22 UTC

April board report for NiFi

Team,

Here is what I submitted to the board for our April report.  Thanks
again for all the great work and progress.

The mission of NiFi is the creation and maintenance of software related to
providing an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process and
distribute data.

Apache NiFi MiNiFi is an edge data collection agent built to seamlessly
integrate with and leverage the command and control of NiFi. There are both
Java and C++ implementations.

Apache NiFi Registry is a centralized registry for key configuration items
including flow versions, assets, and extensions for Apache NiFi and Apache
MiNiFi.

Apache NiFi Nar Maven Plugin is a release artifact used for supporting the
NiFi classloader isolation model.

Apache NiFi Flow Design System is a theme-able set of high quality UI
components and utilities for use across the various Apache NiFi web
applications in order to provide a more consistent user experience.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache NiFi was founded 2015-07-14 (8 years ago)
There are currently 63 committers and 33 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Nathan Gough on 2022-09-06.
- Ferenc Kis was added as committer on 2023-03-23
- NĂ¡ndor Soma Abonyi was added as committer on 2023-03-15

## Project Activity:
The NiFi community released NiFi 1.20.0 in Feb 2023 and is in the RC voting
process for NiFi 1.21.0 now expected to be available in early April 2023.
More than 170 JIRAs have already landed toward our upcoming NiFi 2.0.0
release as discussed in previous board reports.  The 1.21 release is
largely focused on stability and continuing to prepare to move 1.x users
to 2.x with as minimal disruption as possible. As always we remain super
focused on dependency maintenance as it relates to security vulnerabilities.

## Community Health:
Community health remains a point of strength and emphasis.  We have long
enjoyed excellent engagement on release verification and voting. We have added
a couple new committers in this cycle and there are more in the pipeline and
discussions. Mailing list activity is stable if not a little slowed but again
is countered by consistent growth of 100 or so users per quarter into Slack
where we now see more than 2600 users in the general channel up by more than
100 from last report. Our JIRA and commit activity has increased and some of
this is likely as we're working now two major feature lines both 1.x and 2.x.