Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tuukka Ilomäki <tu...@teosto.fi> on 2023/11/07 14:05:41 UTC

Chunk size error after upgrading JRE

We have a very old application running on Tomcat 8.5.90. After upgrading from JRE 8.0.252.09 from AdoptOpenJDK to 8u302b08 from Temurin (both pretty old, I know, also newer JREs exhibit the same issue) we started having NS_ERROR_NET_PARTIAL_TRANSFER in FireFox and ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING in Chrome. I suspect this has something to do with UTF-8 conversion but I have troubles figuring out what and why. The application has a filter that sets response character encoding as UTF-8. Truncated content looks like is has UTF-8 content but truncated to length calculated for ANSI. Naturally, I could be completely wrong in the assumption.

As JREs are old, it is hard to fathom what could have changed between those versions. Apparently there is some configuration or default that has changed but I have difficulties in trying to figure out where to start searching.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tuukka

Re: Chunk size error after upgrading JRE

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 07/11/2023 14:05, Tuukka Ilomäki wrote:
> We have a very old application running on Tomcat 8.5.90. After upgrading from JRE 8.0.252.09 from AdoptOpenJDK to 8u302b08 from Temurin (both pretty old, I know, also newer JREs exhibit the same issue) we started having NS_ERROR_NET_PARTIAL_TRANSFER in FireFox and ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING in Chrome. I suspect this has something to do with UTF-8 conversion but I have troubles figuring out what and why. The application has a filter that sets response character encoding as UTF-8. Truncated content looks like is has UTF-8 content but truncated to length calculated for ANSI. Naturally, I could be completely wrong in the assumption.
>
> As JREs are old, it is hard to fathom what could have changed between those versions. Apparently there is some configuration or default that has changed but I have difficulties in trying to figure out where to start searching.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.

Can you recreate the issue with a simple Servlet? Trying to do so may
shed some light on what is going on and if it doesn't you'll have a
reproducible test case for a bug report.

Mark