Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2021/05/30 09:28:38 UTC

Houston, we have a problem ....

Hi all,

for the past few years I have been investing my work-time, most of my
free time and a lot of my private money in PLC4X. However there was only
very little income from these efforts. In general this wasn't a big
problem as I always have a job (Not having that would have ruined me)

Yesterday I got a letter from the German Finanzamt (German Tax Office).

The problem is, that since I started working on the Industrial IoT
stuff, I had to purchase a lot of hard- and software. Stuff that is
expensive. So my business has been running at a deficit for quite some
time now. Now I got a letter that they are thinking of shutting my
business down as it doesn't seem to be intended for earning money.

I can sort of understand their point of view and if I don't manage to
convince them otherwise, I will no longer be able to provide consulting
work.

Now to how you could possibly help me: I need to provide them with a
plan, backed by some market studies (Ideally for the German market). Do
any of you possibly have such statistics, numbers or studies? Otherwise
I have to purchase these numbers, making it even harder to stay out of
the red numbers.

It's really sort of sad ... I have been running my C-Ware since 1998 (23
years now) and never had any problems of this kind, but since I'm
working in IoT and especially Industrial IoT (THE future of the
industry) is when I can't manage to make at least a little plus. Well
obviously mainly because I have to buy all of this crazy expensive
stuff, which I need in order to develop the drivers that I then give
away for free. Thinking about it ... I probably shouldn't tell it to
them exactly in these words.

Another thing you could possibly help me with, would be if you have a
bit of budget, to book me for some training, consulting hours etc. It
doesn't have to be much ... especially as I've got a full time job and
couldn't do a large commitment. And please: Inigo ... I thank you very
much for you and your company supporting me and my work. Unfortunately
if rmain the only ones ... well in that case I won't be able to continue.

In the end this would mean: No more buying of hardware for building
drivers. No possibility to hire me for training and consulting. And my
contributions will be mostly in-line with the needs of Mapped, which
will shift my focus exclusively towards Building automation drivers.

Would be cool, if you could help me with this.

Chris