Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by jpff <jp...@codemist.co.uk> on 2016/06/03 16:19:26 UTC

DNS again

X-Originating-<%= hostname %>-IP: [217.155.197.248]

OK I expect to get flamed but anyway....

I run a couple of mailers, one of which is small with ~5 users.  For
years I ran dnsmasq which was easy to set up and only gave occasional
troubles with the RBL lookups being rejected from my ISP (hi Zen!).  I
knew why but it did not seem to cause much problem in stopping spam.
But with the latest outbreak of discussion and some spare time I
changed to use unbound which was suggested by someone.  Apart from one
semi-error in the instructions it was easy to deploy

BUT....

I as still seeing the occasional URIBL_BLOCKED

  0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was blocked.
                             See
                             http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                              for more information.
                             [URIs: zakofr.top]

I thought the recursive caching dns system was supposed to remove
this.  Just seeking enlightenment.
==John ffitch

Re: DNS again

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 2016-06-04 07:56, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

> ACk for unbound.

ACK for better dns books to newcommers like me :)

> Is is a very versatile, fast and stable recursive nameserver. We run it
> as
> Recursive DNS at ISPs where, for example at one location, it serves +20
> million customers.

#/etc/bind/named.conf

comment forwards in options

#/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1

reboot

job done for non DNSSEC setup

Re: DNS again

Posted by Patrick Ben Koetter <p...@sys4.de>.
* Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>:

> Am 03.06.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> >On 2016-06-03 18:33, Andy Balholm wrote:
> >>I was using unbound as a local resolver. All queries were going to
> >>127.0.0.1, and there was no forwarding set up.
> >
> >that disqullify unbound then
>
> please stop spreading bullshit
> unbound works perfectly as recursive nameserver

ACk for unbound.

p@rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schlei�heimer Stra�e 26/MG,80333 M�nchen

Sitz der Gesellschaft: M�nchen, Amtsgericht M�nchen: HRB 199263

Re: DNS again

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 03.06.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> On 2016-06-03 18:33, Andy Balholm wrote:
>> I was using unbound as a local resolver. All queries were going to
>> 127.0.0.1, and there was no forwarding set up.
>
> that disqullify unbound then

please stop spreading bullshit
unbound works perfectly as recursive nameserver

unbound.conf:
  cache-min-ttl: 120

and oh wonder - even URIBL/DNSBL responses with a exreme low TTL of a
few seconds got cached - show me a different resolver with that option

Re: DNS again

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Re: DNS again

Posted by Andy Balholm <an...@balholm.com>.
I was using unbound as a local resolver. All queries were going to 127.0.0.1, and there was no forwarding set up.

Andy

Re: DNS again

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 2016-06-03 18:23, Andy Balholm wrote:
> Where is your mail server hosted. URIBL blocks queries from some cloud
> providers (including DigitalOcean) unless you have a subscription. For
> a while I had a mail server hosted on DO, and I was paying more for my
> URIBL subscription than for my hosting.

how did you configure dns there ?

all can pay, its just not needed, not even on DO

Re: DNS again

Posted by jpff <jp...@codemist.co.uk>.
Mailserver is in this house, running Debian.

Re: DNS again

Posted by Andy Balholm <an...@balholm.com>.
I was wondering if your mail server is an on-premises physical machine, or something hosted in a data center somewhere. If it’s in a data center, what data center?

Re: DNS again

Posted by Andy Balholm <an...@balholm.com>.

Re: DNS again

Posted by "Daniel J. Luke" <dl...@geeklair.net>.
On Jun 3, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dl...@geeklair.net> wrote:
>> if the first hop in dns is 127.0.0.1 it works
>
> that's not how +trace works

oh, nevermind - you are right. It will query for the root servers from your configured resolvers.

--
Daniel J. Luke

Re: DNS again

Posted by "Daniel J. Luke" <dl...@geeklair.net>.
On Jun 3, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu> wrote:
> dig +trace ipv4.google.com
>
> if the first hop in dns is 127.0.0.1 it works

that's not how +trace works

from the manpage:

           When tracing is enabled, dig makes iterative queries to resolve
           the name being looked up. It will follow referrals from the root
           servers, showing the answer from each server that was used to
           resolve the lookup.

           If @server is also specified, it affects only the initial query
           for the root zone name servers.

> make sure /etc/resolv.conf only have one single line with nameserver 127.0.0.1 nothing more nothing less

good advise.

> drop unbound if it cant make it right, replace it with bind9

either works fine if configured correctly (and not so well if configured incorrectly).

--
Daniel J. Luke

Re: DNS again

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 2016-06-03 18:19, jpff wrote:

> I as still seeing the occasional URIBL_BLOCKED

do your homework :=)

dig +trace ipv4.google.com

if the first hop in dns is 127.0.0.1 it works

make sure /etc/resolv.conf only have one single line with nameserver
127.0.0.1 nothing more nothing less

dig is part of bind9-tools

drop unbound if it cant make it right, replace it with bind9

possible your unbound have forward servers ?, doh

i am happy with bind9

Re: DNS again

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 04.06.2016 um 11:41 schrieb Tom Hendrikx:
> On 03-06-16 18:19, jpff wrote:
>> X-Originating-<%= hostname %>-IP: [217.155.197.248]
>>
>> OK I expect to get flamed but anyway....
>>
>> I as still seeing the occasional URIBL_BLOCKED
>>
>>   0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was blocked.
>>                              See
>>                              http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
>>                               for more information.
>>                              [URIs: zakofr.top]
>>
>> I thought the recursive caching dns system was supposed to remove
>> this.  Just seeking enlightenment.
>> ==John ffitch
>>

> Which OS is this? The default setting on ubuntu 14.04 for unbound was
> unfortunately that the init script automatically added upstream dns
> servers as forwarders, which effectively mimics the dnsmasq behaviour
> that gives troubles for spamassassin.
>
> To fix that behaviour, set RESOLVCONF_FORWARDERS=false in
> /etc/default/unbound, and restart unbound.

most likely because it's a desktop distribution and unbound becomes
widely used in default setups to enforce DNSSEC which would with direct
recursion break local area networks especially when you change between them

if it comes to servers - just do your homework and learn to configure
the few services you are using and especially how to *verify* what you
*think* you have configured

[root@mail-gw:~]$ cat /etc/unbound/unbound.conf
server:
  verbosity: 1
  statistics-interval: 86400
  statistics-cumulative: no
  extended-statistics: no

  num-threads: 1
  outgoing-range: 1024
  num-queries-per-thread: 512
  msg-cache-slabs: 8
  rrset-cache-slabs: 8
  infra-cache-slabs: 8
  key-cache-slabs: 8
  so-rcvbuf: 4m
  so-sndbuf: 4m
  minimal-responses: yes

  msg-cache-size: 32m
  neg-cache-size: 32m
  rrset-cache-size: 64m
  cache-min-ttl: 90
  cache-max-ttl: 10800

  interface: 127.0.0.1
  access-control: 127.0.0.0/8 allow
  interface-automatic: no
  port: 53
  do-ip4: yes
  do-ip6: no
  do-udp: yes
  max-udp-size: 1024
  edns-buffer-size: 1024
  do-tcp: yes

  do-daemonize: yes
  username: "unbound"
  use-syslog: yes
  log-time-ascii: yes
  pidfile: "/run/unbound/unbound.pid"
  hide-identity: yes
  hide-version: yes
  harden-glue: yes
  harden-dnssec-stripped: no
  harden-referral-path: no
  use-caps-for-id: no
  unwanted-reply-threshold: 10000000
  do-not-query-localhost: no
  prefetch: yes
  prefetch-key: yes

Re: DNS again

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 04.06.2016 um 14:40 schrieb jpff:
> Thank you -- did not realise the /etc/default/unbound file existed. It
> was set to forward.  Will remind me how I prefer instllatins from source
> for critical programs.
>  Unbound installed from Debian Whezzy

nonsense - you don't need to compile anything from source, just write a
proper config file with no includes and you are done

the same for httpd and what not else

Re: DNS again

Posted by jpff <jp...@codemist.co.uk>.

Re: DNS again