Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/04/20 00:09:57 UTC

RE: Can you help

MessageDear Nikolaj,

we have a problem atm as many changes are occuring, yet
many of the 'core' developers are pressed for time. Please let
us know whether this works for you, what doesn't and everything
that is unclear to you so we can improve our "newbie" process.
Thanks.

More information on the hello world demo is at
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/apps/apps/demo/demo-helloworld.html

>From what I gather, you looked at the "Phoenix Developer Kit",
which is, unfortunately, very out of date. Instead, try to get
the latest versions of Phoenix and Hello World and install those.

You will need to use CVS to get all the files to build and run it.
See http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html.
(you will need the modules jakarta-avalon-phoenix
and jakarta-avalon-apps).
I'll assume you downloaded the modules into a dir ".".

1) download and install ant (jakarta.apache.org/ant), set ANT_HOME
to where you installed it (more information on all this is available on
the ant website and in the ant docs)
2) go to ./jakarta-avalon-phoenix
3) type "ant dist"
4) go to ./jakarta-avalon-apps/demo
5) type "ant install"
6) go to ./jakarta-avalon-phoenix/dist/bin
7) execute run.bat or run.sh depending on your platform
8) phoenix should start
9) take a look at ./jakarta-avalon-phoenix/dist/logs/phoenix.log

that should get you started (I hope). After you've looked at
what happens, try and read all of the "Developing with Avalon"
paper that is on the website for more understanding of what
Avalon is about.

cheers,

- Leo
Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo,

>>>From what I gather, you looked at the "Phoenix Developer Kit",
>which is, unfortunately, very out of date. Instead, try to get
>the latest versions of Phoenix and Hello World and install those.

PDK came after HelloWorld.  It is designed to show that it is possible
to make a 'dual mode' application
It can run standalone and inside Phoenix (not to be confused with Avalon
sans suffix).  Perhaps the remaining problem with PDK is that it is miss
named :-)  Again a sin of your's truly...

- Paul