Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Andrew Norman <an...@piczoinc.com> on 2007/01/26 19:53:01 UTC

is there anyway to manually examine the XML input and output with the XMLRPC server?

I have a situation where another entity wants to call my system (that's
implemented via apache's XML RPC). The issue is that his system is
manually writing and parsing the XML sent and received and is having
issues formatting the send parameters correctly. Since I build my system
with apache's XML RPC server implementation and test it with the client
implementation, I haven't found a good way to determine a way to log or
examine the source XML that's coming in with the request. The idea being
that I could compare the correct schema created by my testers with the
incorrect schema that his system is sending. Is there an undocumented
way to log the format of incoming schema with the Server or could the
XML RPC client itself log the schema it is sending on its side?

Re: is there anyway to manually examine the XML input and output with the XMLRPC server?

Posted by Randall Bryant <ra...@magpieti.com>.
We found it real easy to use standard sniffer tools: ethereal (wireshark
now) and on a linux box we have used tcpdump.  It takes a couple of
seconds to recognize but then it is easy to pick out the contents
and then the problem.

Randall

Posted by John Southerland <jo...@southerland-consulting.com>.
Andrew,
I ran into the same problem while trying to performance test my xmlrpc
server.  I had several options and I went with the dumber of the two
approaches.
1. write a test harness using xmlrpc and create a test client with that
2. use the debugging capabilities to print out the marshaled xml message to
the log files, not entirely sure of this process.
3. use a proxy to record the transaction for replay, which is the route I
took.

I open sourced the proxy and although still haggling with the UML with some
others, we have a good working library at http://wpg-proxy.sourceforge.net/
I have seen a few peccadilloes in the xmlrpc library when passing through a
proxy, but I'm sure we will work it out soon.
Good Luck, John

John Buren Southerland
Principal Consultant
Southerland Consulting
801.467.8090(office)
214.734.8099(cell)
john@southerland-consulting.com

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/07, Andrew Norman <an...@piczoinc.com> wrote:

> I have a situation where another entity wants to call my system (that's
> implemented via apache's XML RPC). The issue is that his system is
> manually writing and parsing the XML sent and received and is having
> issues formatting the send parameters correctly. Since I build my system
> with apache's XML RPC server implementation and test it with the client
> implementation, I haven't found a good way to determine a way to log or
> examine the source XML that's coming in with the request. The idea being
> that I could compare the correct schema created by my testers with the
> incorrect schema that his system is sending. Is there an undocumented
> way to log the format of incoming schema with the Server or could the
> XML RPC client itself log the schema it is sending on its side?

Assuming, that you are using the XmlRpcServlet: Overwrite the servlet
class and the method getInputStream() so that the clients input is
copied to a ByteArrayOutputStream. The byte array can be logged and a
ByteArrayInputStream with the byte arrays contents can be returned.

Jochen

--
How fast can a year go? As fast as your childs first year.