Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Oliver Rossmueller <or...@apache.org> on 2003/01/27 18:31:22 UTC

refactorings_branch

I added some information about what I'm doing on the branch I started some
time ago to the Wiki
(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JMeterArchitecturalOverview).
Mike raised his objection there that I might be to far on the wrong road
already. Therefore I would ask you to check the Wiki page mentioned
above and tell me what you think.

Oliver

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Rather than make a new branch, I'd rather see 1.8.1 go out, and then just do this in the main
branch.  It really shouldn't take too long.  I bet I could do it in less than a day.

-Mike

--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org

Re: refactorings_branch

I'm going mad [Was: Re: refactorings_branch]

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.
Hi.

This discussion is driving me crazy. So many really difficult really
different subjects in the same message!

In short, I agree with Mike's in asking Oliver to be a little but more
step-by-step in introducing architectural changes (at least for those
which are not requisites for others).

Actual technical discussion in separate message(s) as soon I have time
for it.

Salut,

Jordi.

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
> [snip]
> Yes, now the GUI components create their test element and know all about
> them. On the branch it is the other way around: the tree panel holds the
> test element tree and when a test element is select in the tree the
> corresponding GUI has to be selected and displayed. The test elements
> have no information about the gui (models) so I have to hold the test
> element to GUI class mapping somewhere and the plugin is one way to
> provide this mapping information. It is not the only way, and in fact
> the plugin stuff can be removed with very little effort should it be
> necessary.

I like the current uni-direction: from gui to test element.  It can still work that way.  All you
have to do is use the current system, except at the last moment, rather than plug the GUI
object into the test tree, call "createTestElement()" on it and plug that into the test tree.
>From that point on, the GUI class for that test element is held as a property.

> [snip]
> I can't see how this should work, how should properties a test element
> does not know of affect the way the test element is doing its work? But
> if you have a scenario where this makes sense it can still be done one
> way or another.

Many test elements are simple holders of data and don't do any work.

--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Oliver Rossmueller <ol...@tuxerra.com>.
Mike Stover wrote:
> [...]

> see.  You're trying to solve it all by yourself.
>

>>>3. I don't get the whole properties in test element objects, or replacing the map with instance
>>>variables.  How does cloning work now?  In what way was handling user-defined variables
>>>difficult that is now easier?  I could see how property objects could make some things easier
>>>and more modular, but not as instance variables.  I would think you'd still want some sort of
>>>collection to organize and track all the properties.  But what's this have to do with changing
>>>tree nodes from GUI objects to test element objects anyway?
>>
>>Cloning works like before, instead of cloning the map I have to clone the
>>properties. This is not direct related to change tree nodes from GUIs to
>>test elements, but the property objects allow for simple dirty checking
>>and transparent user variable substitution.
>

> This sounds pretty good then.  I agree the property objects are probably useful.  I'm still not
> sure I like them as fixed instance variables.  Why not allow new properties to be added ad hoc
> to a test element?

I can't see how this should work, how should properties a test element
does not know of affect the way the test element is doing its work? But
if you have a scenario where this makes sense it can still be done one
way or another.

>>>4. Changing the jmx file format - seems completely unnecessary.   I can't hardly imagine what
>>>you did that means you can't write the jmx in a compatible format?
>>
>>Here is why: the current jmx format holds information like the name of the
>>gui class which are not held by the test elements anymore. That's the easy
>>part. The more difficult part is that because of what I think is a bug all
>>- or almost all configuration elements like FTP Defaults or HTTP Defaults
>>- are stored with class org.apache.jmeter.config.ConfigTestElement in the
>>jmx files but are separate test element classes now. All this would
>>require some kind of mapping from the new to the old structure to write
>>compatible jmx files. So perhaps I should better say that I'm not
>>confident this can work and that from my point of view the effort required
>>to do/try it is not worth it. I'm still not 100% sure that it will be possible
>>to create a mapping from the jmx files to the new internal structure.
>>It is always a problem to change file formats, but it will be possible to
>>load jmx files - at least I hope so - so you will not loose your
>>any existing test plans. And with the new JMeter you have a new file
>>format, a tradeoff that hopefully will be worth the deal because of all
>>the other great new features which will be available.
>

> So these problems are a result of a) the mapping from plugins and b) making properties
> instance variables, thus requiring that every test element be it's own class.  Neither of which
> seems necessary to me, so we could probably fix those things and remain compatible with

Might be possible. I was thinking about this matter and am quite sure
now that it would be possible to transform my new file format to the old
jmx format on the XML level using XSLT. And if it is possible using XSLT
than it can also be done in Java when the XML is generated. Needs
further investigation but I think this issue can be solved.

>>>Things I like:
>>>1.  Using test element objects in the tree; only one instance of each gui class - should make a
>>>marked difference in performance.
>>>
>>>2.  Property objects have potential, but should hurt file format compatibility.
>>>
>>>3. Splash screen, toolbar, and tabbed main panel all seem good.
>>>
>>>-Mike
>>
>>Probably it was the wrong decision to do all this changes at once and not
>>cleanly separate them, but anyway if I'm wasting my time from your point
>>of view I will continue my work on the branch. At some point we will have
>>to decide if what I did is okay for all of us. If this is not the case
>>that was my own risk. At least I have my private JMeter version then ;-)
>>And of corse I'm open for discussion, ideas, contribution, ...
>>
>>Oliver

[snip]

Oliver

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > 3. Splash screen, toolbar, and tabbed main panel all seem good.
> >
> > -Mike
>
> Probably it was the wrong decision to do all this changes at once and not
> cleanly separate them, but anyway if I'm wasting my time from your point
> of view I will continue my work on the branch. At some point we will have
> to decide if what I did is okay for all of us. If this is not the case
> that was my own risk. At least I have my private JMeter version then ;-)
> And of corse I'm open for discussion, ideas, contribution, ...
>
> Oliver

> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > you already mentioned in the Wiki that you disagree with several things
> > > in my list. Would you mind to let me know what these things are and why
> > > you disagree? Thankx
> > >
> > > Oliver
> > >

> > >   but it's all been lumped together in the different

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688
AIM: mstover777

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Oliver Rossmueller <or...@apache.org>.

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Sure:

> [...]

> > I only object to some pieces of it,
>
> Mike,
>
> you already mentioned in the Wiki that you disagree with several things
> in my list. Would you mind to let me know what these things are and why
> you disagree? Thankx
>
> Oliver
>

>   but it's all been lumped together in the different
> > branch.  I don't think branching for individual developers works well - I probably
> > should have said something earlier.
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > On 27 Jan 2003 at 9:31, Oliver Rossmueller wrote:
> >

> >>I added some information about what I'm doing on the branch I started some
> >>time ago to the Wiki
> >>(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JMeterArchitecturalOverview).
> >>Mike raised his objection there that I might be to far on the wrong road
> >>already. Therefore I would ask you to check the Wiki page mentioned

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688
AIM: mstover777

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Oliver Rossmueller <ol...@tuxerra.com>.

Re: refactorings_branch

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
I only object to some pieces of it, but it's all been lumped together in the different
branch.  I don't think branching for individual developers works well - I probably
should have said something earlier.

-Mike

On 27 Jan 2003 at 9:31, Oliver Rossmueller wrote:

> I added some information about what I'm doing on the branch I started some
> time ago to the Wiki
> (http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JMeterArchitecturalOverview).
> Mike raised his objection there that I might be to far on the wrong road
> already. Therefore I would ask you to check the Wiki page mentioned
> above and tell me what you think.
>
> Oliver

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org