Posted to java-commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/08/02 14:45:48 UTC

[Lucene-java Wiki] Update of "Java 1.5 Migration" by GrantIngersoll

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-java Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by GrantIngersoll:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Java_1%2e5_Migration

  == Planning for Java 1.5 Migration ==
+
+ OK, we have finally all agreed to move to Java 1.5 and here is the plan agreed to by the committers:
+
+ 1.  Put in any new deprecations we want, cleanups, etc.
+ 2. Release 2.4 so all of Mike M's goodness is available to 1.4 users within the next 2 months or so (no hard date) using our new release mechanism (i.e code freeze, branch, documentation.  I tentatively volunteer to be the RM, but hope someone will be my wingman on it).
+ 3. Announce that 2.9 will be the last version under JDK 1.4
+ 4. Put in any other deprecations that we want and do as we did when moving from 1.4.3 to 1.9 by laying out a migration plan, etc.
+ 5. Release 2.9 as the last official release on JDK 1.4
+ 6. Switch 3.0-dev to be on JDK 1.5, removing any deprecated code and updating ANT to use 1.5 for source and target.
+ 7. Start accepting JDK 1.5 patches on 3.0-dev
+
+
+ See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/51605 and http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/51421 for background information
+

  Some people are interested in Java 1.5 Migration.