Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Lehane <gl...@h5technologies.com> on 2001/09/05 20:44:59 UTC

Quick question (nesting tags)

Hello all,

  In my JSP I'm iterating through a vector I've stored in my ActionForm
bean, I write out information from the vector to the JSP and the end
result is a populated table on the JSP. What I would like to do is add a
form to each row on the table (as I iterate through), however, I need to
grab info from the form in order to populate the action= part of the

  So, I attempt to write something like this for each iteration:

name="resultSetVO" property="title" filter="true"/>"> <html:submit
property="submit" value="open"/>

  However, compilation throws up a "Non matching extension tags error"
on the JSP. Presumably because have the nested <bean:write ...> tag.

  I know that this nesting works using regular HTML, but I would rather
use the custom tags. Hopefully this simply involves adding commas or
something!

  Thanks,

- Greg

Greg Lehane
Software Developer
H5 Technologies Inc.
520 3rd St. No 17
San Francisco, CA 94107
415.625.6701 ext. 610 (direct)
415.625.6799 (fax)
glehane@h5technologies.com

Off-topic: JSP documents (Was: nesting tags)

Posted by John Yu <jo...@scioworks.com>.
This raises an interesting question.

"JSP documents", the XML verion of JSP, is defined in JSP spec 1.2 (Let's
call them xJSP.) I think Tomcat 4.0 implements it.

In xJSP, expressions like <%= blah %> are represented as

   <jsp:expression>blah</jsp:expression>

So, does a JSP 1.2 compliant JSP container handles an xJSP containing
something like:

which is equivalent to this in normal JSP:

Or, is there a different approach to acheive the same effect?
--
John

At 12:08 pm 05-09-2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Everyone wants to do this.  Unfortunately JSP syntax doesn't allow it. The
>best you can do in a tag attribute is a scriptlet (<%= ... %>).
>
>Greg Lehane wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>

>>  In my JSP I'm iterating through a vector I've stored in my ActionForm
>>bean, I write out information from the vector to the JSP and the end
>>result is a populated table on the JSP. What I would like to do is add a
>>form to each row on the table (as I iterate through), however, I need to
>>grab info from the form in order to populate the action= part of the
>>
>>  So, I attempt to write something like this for each iteration:

>>name="resultSetVO" property="title" filter="true"/>"> <html:submit
>>property="submit" value="open"/>
>>
>>  However, compilation throws up a "Non matching extension tags error"
>>on the JSP. Presumably because have the nested <bean:write ...> tag.
>>
>>  I know that this nesting works using regular HTML, but I would rather
>>use the custom tags. Hopefully this simply involves adding commas or
>>something!
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>
>>- Greg
>>
>>----------------------------------------------
>>Greg Lehane
>>Software Developer
>>H5 Technologies Inc.
>>520 3rd St. No 17
>>San Francisco, CA 94107
>>415.625.6701 ext. 610 (direct)
>>415.625.6799 (fax)
>>glehane@h5technologies.com

--
John Yu                       Scioworks Technologies
e: john@scioworks.com         w: +(65) 873 5989

Re: Quick question (nesting tags)

Posted by John Raley <jo...@moonlight.com>.