Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/07/18 19:26:17 UTC

Hackathon Attendees

A quick plea to those collaborating at the Stuttgart hackathon
this week ...

Please remember that decisions need to be made on dev@.
Hopefully high-bandwidth discussions will generate some pretty
slick code and solutions.  Although those in the rest of the
world will be lagging a bit, the history of the project, the
decisions and discussion need to continue to occur on dev@.

Quick summaries of the discussion/conclusions are helpful,
along with a summary of the dissent.

Bill

Re: Hackathon Attendees

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
>> Yeah, no kidding.  We haven't made any decisions yet.  Decisions
>> are what happens when people vote on releases or changes.  Did one
>> of those go by and I didn't notice?  Nope.
>
> Yup - branching 2.1.x - 2.2.x - trunk.

No, branching is part of the task of an RM.  It is not a decision
of the group, nor is it subject to vote, for the same reason we
do not allow people to veto releases.  As long as the RM is doing
it for a good reason (i.e., preparing a tarball, not just dicking
around), then we want them to use the version management tools the
way that they are intended to be used.

Nobody is forced to support the new branch.  Nobody is forced to
vote to release it.  It doesn't exist for the public until we vote
to release it, so just keep working on what you are doing and ignore
the dude behind the curtains.  At least until he asks us to make
a decision.

....Roy

Re: Hackathon Attendees

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:44 PM 7/18/2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:26 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Please remember that decisions need to be made on dev@.
>>Hopefully high-bandwidth discussions will generate some pretty
>>slick code and solutions.  Although those in the rest of the
>>world will be lagging a bit, the history of the project, the
>>decisions and discussion need to continue to occur on dev@.
>
>Yeah, no kidding.  We haven't made any decisions yet.  Decisions
>are what happens when people vote on releases or changes.  Did one
>of those go by and I didn't notice?  Nope.

Yup - branching 2.1.x - 2.2.x - trunk.

At that time Justin strongly disagreed with branching 2.2.x (although
he agreed with splitting 2.1.x from 2.3.x).  But this discussion all
occured in May.  It's July.  Where is the warning that this is happening,
results of the vote, or whatever?

Sorry, got blindsided by that fork today and I'm not appreciating it.

Bill

Re: Hackathon Attendees

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:44 PM 7/18/2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:26 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Please remember that decisions need to be made on dev@.
>>Hopefully high-bandwidth discussions will generate some pretty
>>slick code and solutions.  Although those in the rest of the
>>world will be lagging a bit, the history of the project, the
>>decisions and discussion need to continue to occur on dev@.
>
>Yeah, no kidding.  We haven't made any decisions yet.  Decisions
>are what happens when people vote on releases or changes.  Did one
>of those go by and I didn't notice?  Nope.

Not here :)  Just a cautionary plea :)

Re: Hackathon Attendees

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: Hackathon Attendees