Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2017/04/01 06:25:57 UTC

Re: Discuss: Move Geronimo to Attic

The commit activity you speak of is really just small number of minor patches and a merge of years of work by IBM.  I’m just adding a bit of clarity there.  On it’s own, it indicates to me that the “home for Java API specs” is not a fruitful path.  As it stands, there’s not a lot of activity and I still haven’t heard a clear case that things will ever improve on that front.

With that said, I think the config front will be very fruitful.  I’ve already outlined my ideas and I think that Geronimo would be a good seed from which to start with.
I’ll stick around to work on configuration on a macro level.  Hopefully it will dovetail with your work.

We could still keep the specs around.  I see no harm in that.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Alan!

> The commit activity you speak of is really just small number of minor patches and a merge of years of work by IBM.

No, this was all done in one big fat commit.

There really have been 60 other committs during that time!
So it's not just a one-time effect due to Yoko.

I have to admit that I did read your post about "runtime-configurations for heterogeneous global environments" and didn't yet fully grok it.
Is this like a dependency graph, but not only at build time but also during runtime?

Or do you really talk about 'configuration'? Then this is exactly what I proposed to add to geronimo as a component one year ago isn't?
Just think about adding a ConfigSource which goes to Zookeeper, Consul or just a GIT server.

https://github.com/struberg/javaConfig/tree/originalProposalJune2016

Is this something in the direction you have been talking about?

> deck chairs on the Titanic
I bet one could make a huge amount of money with it ;)

LieGrue,
strub