Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Jianan Zhang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/15 03:17:01 UTC

What will happen if we lost a node in cluster?

Hi all,

We have a nifi cluster with 3 node. If we lost a node, what will happen to
the job running on the disconnected node.
The cluster will do nothing till the node is recovered, or cluster will
reallocate the job running on the dead node to other healthy node.

Thanks
Jianan

Re: What will happen if we lost a node in cluster?

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Each node of the cluster is running a copy of the dataflow that you
see in the UI, and the data that is being operated on is what is
divided across the nodes (depending on how the data enters the flow).

If a node goes down, the other nodes continue processing, and the data
that is on the node that went down is stuck there until the node is
brought back up.

If the repositories are on mountable drives then you could spin up
another node and re-attach those volumes to pick up where the node
was, in addition you can use standard RAID configurations to avoid the
most common cause of disk failures.

There is also a new effort in the community called "stateless nifi"
(formerly nifi-fn), which would be an alternative approach and would
be able to handle failures differently when the source of data offers
some type of replayable acknowledgment protocol (i.e. something like
kafka).

Thanks,

Bryan