Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2011/05/11 12:26:18 UTC

getting domain information

Quick question. Ant, I notice that you've been adding more information
to the endpoint (domain?) registry. Also there are some operations in
the domain node that use some of that information to present
information, such as the domain composite. Is that information
available from a domain node without starting a composite in that
node?

I'm asking as I'd like to start up a process to look into the domain.
Re-using that code makes sense but I don't want to have to start a
composite just to look at what's already in the domain.

Simon

Re: getting domain information

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Quick question. Ant, I notice that you've been adding more information
>>> to the endpoint (domain?) registry. Also there are some operations in
>>> the domain node that use some of that information to present
>>> information, such as the domain composite. Is that information
>>> available from a domain node without starting a composite in that
>>> node?
>>>
>>> I'm asking as I'd like to start up a process to look into the domain.
>>> Re-using that code makes sense but I don't want to have to start a
>>> composite just to look at what's already in the domain.
>>>

>> That is exactly what i'm presently working on to try to get going
>> better, at the moment some things work and others don't so its a bit
>> hit and miss, mainly beacuse we didn't/don't have all the information
>> in the registry, it should be going better soon as i get it finished.
>
> Interesting. It seems that what I needed basically works at the moment
> in that I can do.
>
> node = tuscanyRuntime.createNode("uri:" + domainName);
> node.getEndpointRegistry().getEndpoints().toString();
>
> And expect to get any endpoints that are currently in the domain. I.e
> the domain info is available even though I haven't "started" the node.
>
> If this had not been the case I could of course have attacked the
> registry directly however as you are adding code to do things like
> construct the domain composite it seems useful to be able to re-use
> that code.
>

>> So for example if you start two shells, eg with one with mvn
>> tuscany:shell -DdomainURI=uri:default, and the other in the helloworld
>> sample with mvn tuscany:run -DdomainURI=uri:default, then in both
>> shells if you type "services" you should see the helloworld service
>> endpoint, if you type "installed" you should see the installed
>> helloworld contribution. You can't yet use the invoke command in
>> either because in the remote shell it doesn't yet have the service
>> interface so can't create the proxy, but if you where doing it
>> programatically with then API calls then you can invoke the service in
>> the remote node.
>
> At the moment I was just wanting to see what's there. I'm interested
> in how the domain artifacts might map to URIs / URLs. Not interested
> in actually invoking anything at the moment.
>

>> What i'm trying to finish now is to have all the node api calls and
>> shell commands all reflected everywhere across the distributed domain.
>> So on one node you can install a contribution, on another see that
>> contribution and start composites in it etc.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Simon
>
> --
> Apache Tuscany committer: tuscany.apache.org
> Co-author of a book about Tuscany and SCA: tuscanyinaction.com

As an aside I see OSGi issues in the hazelcast registry area when I
suck it into Eclipse. I have local fixes but I haven't run the build
yet.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.