Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/03/30 23:41:35 UTC

Maintenance of Hadoop 0.21 branch?

Hi all,

Some recent discussion on HDFS-1786 has raised an interesting question: does
anyone plan on maintaining the 0.21 branch and eventually releasing an
0.21.1? Should we bother to commit bug fixes to this branch?

It seems to me that our time would be better spent getting 0.22 and trunk
back to a green state so we can talk about releasing them, rather than
applying patches to a branch with no releases planned.

Of course a decision now doesn't preclude anyone from stepping up later,
backporting patches to 0.21, and releasing an 0.21.1.

Thanks
-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Maintenance of Hadoop 0.21 branch?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm fine w/ abandoning but that needs to be clearly communicated with changes to the website.  This is complicated by the fact that it looks like 0.21 docs are the only ones on the website for hdfs and mapreduce (which seems like a bug):
> http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/docs/
> http://hadoop.apache.org/mapreduce/docs/
> Common has a bunch of back revs:
> http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/

This is an artifact of the project split, since there were no separate
HDFS and MapReduce projects before release 0.21.0. The documentation
for HDFS and MapReduce was all in Common/Core for 0.20.2 and lower.

The websites (http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/,
http://hadoop.apache.org/mapreduce/) link to previous versions, but do
we need to add links under http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/docs and
http://hadoop.apache.org/mapreduce/docs/ too?

Tom

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
I recall that some users are using 0.21.   Should we discuss this on the users
mailing lists?
Nicholas