Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wojciech Sobczuk <wo...@brandlay.com> on 2005/02/09 00:18:52 UTC

Running heavily loaded tomcat sites.

Hello,

I have collected my experiences with running a heavily loaded (and soon
to be high availability) tomcat setup in a paper available here:
http://brandlay.com/wojtek/publ/tomcat.jsp
Have a look if you're interested and please email any comments directly
to my email.

Thanks!

--
Wojciech Sobczuk
wojtek@brandlay.com

RE: Running heavily loaded tomcat sites.

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
You are really just starting document the issues necessary for running a
high volume site.

The URL

http://www.mhsoftware.com/resources/top10asp.html

Has some things that are IIS specific, but also apply to Tomcat
applications:

Specifically:

Store as little as possible on the session. I'm working on an app right now,
where the author decided storing the db connection on the session was the
way to go.

Watch contention.

Use an automated code analysis tool like PMD or Findbugs to eliminate bad
and redundant code. PMD will detect things like string concatenation in
loops, using string concatenation in StringBuffer.append() methods, and
other non-optimal techniques.

Stress test using a tool like Jmeter.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585

Posted by sudip shrestha <su...@gmail.com>.
It was good to read your paper.  I was wondering why ReiserFS is
suitable for webapps that you are hosting.

Posted by Thomas Chille <th...@gmail.com>.
> For me it refuses to open under IE6 but FF works perfectly fine - no
> passwords required.

closing the <title>-tag in html-source make it readable on ie6 too ...

lg t

Re: Running heavily loaded tomcat sites.

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com>.
> I'm interested in reading your paper, but the link you provided requires
> a userid and password

For me it refuses to open under IE6 but FF works perfectly fine - no
passwords required.

G.

Re: Running heavily loaded tomcat sites.

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
The 'LD_ASSUME_KERNEL' setting was needed with Red Hat 9. I'm on FC3 now and
it seems to be working fine *without* having to specify LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

Actually, I could swear (though I have no metrics) that FC3 is running my
Java stuff much faster than RH9 did with a forced LD_ASSUME_KERNEL setting.

Your suggestion to avoid using the Java 'new' keyword is interesting, and I
believe I know what you're getting at - but I think you should expand on it,
perhaps with some specific pointers. It seems to leave too much to the
imagination at the moment :-)

As an example, in my application all the 'action objects' that handle
requests are singletons - instantiated at start-up, and handed out as needed
at runtime. But you have to be careful with that approach - instance
variables are a complete no-no.

HTH

Harry Mantheakis

Posted by DAVID TURNER <DT...@nhbb.com>.
I'm interested in reading your paper, but the link you provided requires a
userid and password

Wojciech Sobczuk <wo...@brandlay.com>
02/08/2005 06:18 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
cc

Subject

Re: [OT] Re: Compression in the server.xml

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:31:07 -0500, Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> wrote:
> No. They are written in 2 different languages and have 2 different purposes.

Indeed. Integration will improve, though (the Apache/Tomcat connector
will be bundled in Apache and will be compatible with all the other
module combination (such as cache + ssl + gzip).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
No. They are written in 2 different languages and have 2 different purposes.

-Tim

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Compression is useless if you use apache in front of tomcat.

Look into mod_gzip and make sure the option for zipping chunked data in
mod_gzip is turned on.

-Tim

Posted by Randy Paries <ra...@unitnet.com>.
Could some one explain the downsides of setting compression="on" in the
server.xml

I have a web app that averages 2 million hits aday.

The static and images are handled using apache.

I am trying to understand what the compression setting is used for in the
server.xml and what are the ramifications.

I found out about the setting reading "
http://brandlay.com/wojtek/publ/tomcat.jsp " that was on the list earlier
today.

any bandwidth I can save would be great