Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/11 21:28:01 UTC

testing....testng?

Does anyone have any strong feelings about possibly incorporating testng
into some of the 4.1 unit tests?

The good part about this is that testng can happily run any junit test (as
well as the eclipse plugin), along with a number of additional useful
features:

-) Using assertions : The testng runtime checks for assert errors, so our
reliance on extending base classes becomes much less needed..ie:

assertEquals(foo.getValue(), 1);

turns into

assert foo.getValue() == 1 : "Foo didn't equal 1"; //or just assert
foo.getValue() == 1;

-) Annotations, well I think everyone knows the benefit to this. But the
additionally nice thing here is that your method names don't need to drive
any part about how your tests are run. The setup/teardown logic could go
away for more friendly uses of configuration, the least of which is being
able to say new things like run my method:

 beforeSuite/beforeTestClass/beforeTestMethod/etc..

Also, grouping and "dependsOnMethod" semantics allow a whole new level of
control.

-) Is completely happy to run all junit tests.

-) Supported in the maven2 core by yours truly.

-) We have commit access to it which will give instant gratification to
anyone disliking/wanting some feature. (though I doubt this will come up)

It's not a huge deal for me, it's just something that is nice to have. I
won't add the dependency in unless I get an ok for it as it is impactual on
our daily happiness and I certainly don't want to add something in that will
become an annoyance for anyone.

jesse

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin!

Sorry to comment about TestNG on the Tapestry list, but you might
guess that this thread caught my attention :-).

I thought I have addressed the @Factory problem: it's quite impossible
to handle: in case your real test is already marked as @Test than you
might finally decide to run it either directly or through a @Factory.
However smart the plugin would be it would not be able to figure out
your intention ;-).

About the other one I cannot comment, because I am not sure what you
are refering too. Please let us know and we will try to figure out a
solution.

cheers,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

TestNG: http://testng.org

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Ahehe. Thanks Alexendru :)

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I poked around the mailing lists and found the discussion regarding
annotation inheritance. I don't believe I'm familiar enough with the
semantics to know what to say.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Hehehehe...I think I remember reading something somewhere about smarter
people being a little more picky about which information they allow their
brains to fill up with..Otherwise you only know a little bit about a lot of
things.

If it's any consolation I started off with xml file definitions as well.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Maybe I missed something; it just seemed easier to specify an XML file
as a suite, but I can look into labeling tests as groups and seeing if
that works. I'd prefer less XML (my new crusade).

The point of side projects like ePluribus is for me to figure these
things out. Normally, I'm epxected to know everything about every Java
technology in existence.

About three years, I did a talk about HiveMind at a JUG and from the
back of the audience this one guy stands up and proclaims: "Please
explain why you chose not to base the descriptors on YAML".  As if
everyone knew what YAML was.

On 2/11/06, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just being curious, what caused the need for creating an xml file? Only
> because of my recent interactions.
>
> I can say at the very least that in maven2, unless you have some weird
> runtime DataProvider stuff to setup there is actually 0 configuration that
> needs to be done. Unless you wanted only a certain set of classes to be run?
> But then, why not use groups to specify the classes instead of inviduals
> themselves? No idea what you environment is like, but would love to know of
> any issues beforehand.
>
> On 2/11/06, Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:28:01 -0500, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have any strong feelings about possibly incorporating testng
> > > into some of the 4.1 unit tests?
> > >
> > > The good part about this is that testng can happily run any junit test
> > > (as
> > > well as the eclipse plugin), along with a number of additional useful
> > > features:
> >
> > IMHO, the Eclipse plug-in has some ways to go before it's really useful,
> > unless you're willing to handcraft a TestNG XML file.  I've filed some
> > bugs in their JIRA and Alexandru has even addressed some of the issues, so
> > that's cool.  Just something to be aware of.  With that being said, I'm
> > not a Tapestry dev, so it's ultimately up to you guys.
> >
> > --
> > Kevin

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough. Brett has assured me that despite being snowed in he will be
applying the patches needed for maven2, so I'll post an update once that is
all official.

Re: testing....testng?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--