Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com.INVALID> on 2020/02/28 15:33:02 UTC

Re: Can we upgrade Guava to the same version as master on 3.11 branch?

Hi Cassandra developers,

Today I learned that Guava 18 has "severe" vulnerability [1,2]. As per
code freezing, Cassandra 3.11 still accepts security related PRs.
Will Cassandra team accept a pull request to upgrade Guava in 3.11
[3], if I create one?

[1]: https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.google.guava/guava/18.0/bundle
[2]: https://ossindex.sonatype.org/vuln/24585a7f-eb6b-4d8d-a2a9-a6f16cc7c1d0
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15453

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 12:45 PM Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com> wrote:

> Russell,
>
> That's great to hear. Then I'll wait for Cassandra 4 release for now.
> In the meantime, I found an outdated dependency in Cassandra. Ticketed
> [1].
>
> [1]: CASSANDRA-15455 Upgrade com.carrotsearch:hppc dependency
>

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 12:08 AM Russell Spitzer
> <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The hadoop formats should be compatible with any Cassandra version
> > regardless of which Cassandra-all you include since they communicate with
> > the driver under the hood and not Cassandra internal libraries. This means
> > you should feel free to use Cassandra 4 in your integration without fear of
> > losing backwards compatibility. In fact it should be able to speak to
> > Cassandra 2.x as well.
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 15, 2019, 10:24 PM Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com.invalid>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Russell,
> > >
> > > Yes, Apache Beam uses hadoop format for Cassandra IO [1]. That test
> > > (HadoopFormatIOCassandraTest) failed [2] when I tried to upgrade Guava
> > > version. Added this information to the ticket.
> > >
> > > [1]: https://beam.apache.org/documentation/io/built-in/hadoop/
> > > [2]:
> > > https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1028#issuecomment-557680928

> > > hadoop

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Tomo

> Regards,
> Tomo

Tomo

Re: Can we upgrade Guava to the same version as master on 3.11 branch?

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com.INVALID>.
So far no opinion for or against the guava upgrade.
Would someone review my change if I create a PR for this?

Jeff, thank you for checking.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This isn't an opinion for or against upgrading guava, just a note that the
> two classes mentioned in that vulnerability are not actually in the
> codebase:
>
> jjirsa:cassandra jjirsa$ git checkout cassandra-3.11
> Checking out files: 100% (3212/3212), done.)
> Switched to branch 'cassandra-3.11'
> Your branch is up to date with 'origin/cassandra-3.11'.
> jjirsa:cassandra jjirsa$ grep -r CompoundOrdering src/
> jjirsa:cassandra jjirsa$ grep -r AtomicDoubleArray src/
> jjirsa:cassandra jjirsa$
>

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 7:33 AM Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Cassandra developers,
> >
> > Today I learned that Guava 18 has "severe" vulnerability [1,2]. As per
> > code freezing, Cassandra 3.11 still accepts security related PRs.
> > Will Cassandra team accept a pull request to upgrade Guava in 3.11
> > [3], if I create one?
> >
> > [1]: https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.google.guava/guava/18.0/bundle
> > [2]:
> > https://ossindex.sonatype.org/vuln/24585a7f-eb6b-4d8d-a2a9-a6f16cc7c1d0
> > [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15453
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 12:45 PM Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Russell,
> > >
> > > That's great to hear. Then I'll wait for Cassandra 4 release for now.
> > > In the meantime, I found an outdated dependency in Cassandra. Ticketed
> > > [1].
> > >
> > > [1]: CASSANDRA-15455 Upgrade com.carrotsearch:hppc dependency

> > with
> > means
> > fear of

> > Guava

> > https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1028#issuecomment-557680928

> > the

> > <su...@google.com.invalid>

> > into
> > version of

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Tomo
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tomo

Tomo

Re: Can we upgrade Guava to the same version as master on 3.11 branch?

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.