Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Carlos Villegas <vi...@math.gatech.edu> on 2003/03/07 04:21:59 UTC

problems installing mod_perl 2

Hi,

First some basic info:

-Apache 2.0.44
-Solaris 9 sparc
-perl 5.8.0
-mod_perl-1.99_08 (from mod_perl-2.0-current.tar.gz)
-complete newbie to mod_perl

I had some problems to compile mod_perl: make test would fail, after
reading the mailing list archives, I found a few things related to my
problem, so I added a few lines to:

t/hooks/TestHooks/init.pm and t/hooks/TestHooks/trans.pm

(I can post a diff if it's of interest)

This fixed some problems, but not all of them. I decided to ignore further
failures of make test, and did a make install, it failed (?), however I
did get a mod_perl.so under $apacheroot/modules, so I added the LoadModule
line to apache, and restarted it. It seems to work, however I can't load
my module (using PerlHandler mymodule), because it can't find
Apache::Constants (which I use in my module).

I have tried to install this (Apache::Constants) by using the shell of
CPAN, but it refuses to install for apache2, I saw some references to
Apache2 somewhere in the archives, but couldn't find it either (using CPAN
shell).

Does "make install" add some more stuff besides mod_perl.so? My perl is in
a read only path, so this might be the problem, but I'm not sure...

Which are the specific dependencies for mod_perl 2?

How stable is mod_perl 2?

Thank you all in advance,

Carlos

Re: problems installing mod_perl 2

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Carlos Villegas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First some basic info:
>
> -Apache 2.0.44
> -Solaris 9 sparc
> -perl 5.8.0
> -mod_perl-1.99_08 (from mod_perl-2.0-current.tar.gz)
> -complete newbie to mod_perl
>
> I had some problems to compile mod_perl: make test would fail, after
> reading the mailing list archives, I found a few things related to my
> problem, so I added a few lines to:
>
> t/hooks/TestHooks/init.pm and t/hooks/TestHooks/trans.pm
>
> (I can post a diff if it's of interest)

Certainly. But please follow the bug reporting guidelines:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#Reporting_Problems

> This fixed some problems, but not all of them. I decided to ignore further
> failures of make test, and did a make install, it failed (?), however I
> did get a mod_perl.so under $apacheroot/modules, so I added the LoadModule
> line to apache, and restarted it. It seems to work, however I can't load
> my module (using PerlHandler mymodule), because it can't find
> Apache::Constants (which I use in my module).
>
> I have tried to install this (Apache::Constants) by using the shell of
> CPAN, but it refuses to install for apache2, I saw some references to
> Apache2 somewhere in the archives, but couldn't find it either (using CPAN
> shell).
>
> Does "make install" add some more stuff besides mod_perl.so? My perl is in
> a read only path, so this might be the problem, but I'm not sure...
>
> Which are the specific dependencies for mod_perl 2?

It's all very well documented. Please spend some time at:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/index.html

in particular:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/compat/compat.html

> How stable is mod_perl 2?

Getting better every day. There are still problems here and there, but they
get resolved when reported. See the todo directory and the STATUS file in the
mod_perl source for things that are still missing.