Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at> on 2006/03/02 14:21:19 UTC

SpamAssassin tested by lwn.net

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/173910/e7bf95a7cb044637/

They are wondering why bayes_99 is not given 5 points by default, as it
seems to have no FP.

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11

Re: OT Re: SpamAssassin tested by lwn.net

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> On Friday 03 March 2006 17:56, jdow wrote:
>>From: "Kelson" <ke...@speed.net>

>>> Finally, a use for HTML in email!
>>>
>>> Though I'm not sure beta-particle-induced phosphorescence quite
>>> stacks up next to Cherenkov radiation...
>>
>>Having seen the latter there is NO comparison. Seeing a large lump of
>>"object" at the bottom of a large pool sitting there glowing quietly
>>in an unearthly blue is quite an experience. (And as a "Unified
>> Science" tracked engineering student at Univ of Mich the class all
>> did this as part of the Physical Chemistry course in semester 4. That
>> was an experience I'm not going to forget soon.)
>
> Humm, I wonder how long the leaves in the alpha badge stayed up?

Nah, safe installation, deep very clear pure water. Neutron radiation
would have been the significant danger. We all wore badges. But nothing
untowards happened. Exposure times were limited. We were NOT by any
stretch tickling the dragon's tail.

{^_-}

Re: OT Re: SpamAssassin tested by lwn.net

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Friday 03 March 2006 17:56, jdow wrote:
>From: "Kelson" <ke...@speed.net>
>
>> jdow wrote:
>>> And of course, when reading BAYES_99 pronouncements one must ALWAYS
>>> be aware that YMMV in big glowing radioactive Cherenkov Radiation
>>> Blue letters is always presumed. Matt's note above proves it.
>>
>> Finally, a use for HTML in email!
>>
>> Though I'm not sure beta-particle-induced phosphorescence quite
>> stacks up next to Cherenkov radiation...
>
>Having seen the latter there is NO comparison. Seeing a large lump of
>"object" at the bottom of a large pool sitting there glowing quietly
>in an unearthly blue is quite an experience. (And as a "Unified
> Science" tracked engineering student at Univ of Mich the class all
> did this as part of the Physical Chemistry course in semester 4. That
> was an experience I'm not going to forget soon.)

Humm, I wonder how long the leaves in the alpha badge stayed up?

I've not had that pleasure (of seeing cherenkov radiation) myself
anyplace but in a telescope image, but I did handle a bar of uranium
several times, using only some potholder mitts that weighed about 6-7
lbs each.  That was in 1947 at the Iowa State Fair where the AEC had
set up a promo tent down in the middle of the horsetrack.  They
normally kept it in a lead casket that probably weighed a ton or so,
and had live geiger counters all over the place,  Pick it up out of the
casket and all the counters around sounded like ripping canvas.
Since I was only 12 at the time, its weight did impress me as it was
obviously heavier than I thought a lead bar that size would be, about
50 pounds counting the potholders.  Thinking back on that, I hung
around thinking it was cool, but probably got more than a years dose in
that 4 days I made it to the fair.  And amazingly, I'm still around,
not that it makes any great difference to anybody but me.  Next year
they didn't bring it, just the paper propaganda promoting atomic
energy.  Safety considerations I was told when I asked.  Yeah sure.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are:

Re: OT Re: SpamAssassin tested by lwn.net

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Kelson" <ke...@speed.net>

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
jdow wrote:
> And of course, when reading BAYES_99 pronouncements one must ALWAYS be
> aware that YMMV in big glowing radioactive Cherenkov Radiation Blue
> letters is always presumed. Matt's note above proves it.

Finally, a use for HTML in email!

Though I'm not sure beta-particle-induced phosphorescence quite stacks
up next to Cherenkov radiation...

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: SpamAssassin tested by lwn.net

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Matt Kettler" <mk...@comcast.net>

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
It is graded 5 here. I overrode the perceptron score. So far I have not seen
a false positive that got a BAYES_99 score. I've seen a very small number of
false negatives in spite of the BAYES_99 score.

{^_^}

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Seems to produce != doesn't ever.

Depends on your config, but I think the developers err on the side of
caution a little and don't have single test score that would trigger go over
the default 'is spam' limit.

Could be wrong - frequently am...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
> They are wondering why bayes_99 is not given 5 points by default, as it
> seems to have no FP.
>
> mfg zmi
> --
> // Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
> // http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11
> // PGP Key:   "lynx -source http://zmi.at/zmi2.asc | gpg --import"
> // Fingerprint: EB93 ED8A 1DCD BB6C F952  F7F4 3911 B933 7054 5879
> // Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                 Key-ID: 0x70545879

the system manager.