Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2009/11/12 03:03:53 UTC

2.3.3 on Mac OS X

Built 2.3.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with:

"./configure" \
"--enable-modules=most" \
"--enable-mods-shared=all" \
"--with-mpm=event" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \

and got this on startup:

[Wed Nov 11 20:56:15 2009] [crit] (70023)This function has not been
implemented on this platform: Couldn't create a Thread Safe Pollset.
Is it supported on your platform?Also check system or user limits!
Pre-configuration failed

Built and ran fine with worker mpm.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: 2.3.3 on Mac OS X

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>> Built 2.3.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with:
>>
>> "./configure" \
>> "--enable-modules=most" \
>> "--enable-mods-shared=all" \
>> "--with-mpm=event" \
>> "--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \
>>

>> and got this on startup:
>>
>> [Wed Nov 11 20:56:15 2009] [crit] (70023)This function has not been
>> implemented on this platform: Couldn't create a Thread Safe Pollset. Is it
>
> this part of server/mpm/config.m4 needs some help:
>
> dnl See if APR supports APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE.
> dnl XXX This hack tests for the underlying functions used by APR when it
> dnl XXX supports APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE.
> dnl FIXME with a run-time check for
> dnl     apr_pollset_create(,,APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE) == APR_SUCCESS
> AC_CHECK_FUNCS(kqueue port_create epoll_create)
> if test "$ac_cv_func_kqueue$ac_cv_func_port_create$ac_cv_func_epoll_create"
> != "nonono"; then
>    have_threadsafe_pollset=yes
> else
>    have_threadsafe_pollset=no
> fi
>
> (APR actually skips kqueue on Leopard because of kernel issues.)

I had "fun" working on an implementation of APACHE_TRY_RUN_APR()
before realizing that the concept doesn't work for an in-tree APR
(srclib/apr) since APR hasn't been built yet ;)

Unless somebody has a better idea, I'll wrap the existing code (above)
in AC_CACHE_CHECK() so users can override the decision, and duplicate
APR's OS X level check so we don't build Event and Simple on Leopard.

Re: 2.3.3 on Mac OS X

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.3.3 on Mac OS X

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> Built 2.3.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with:
>
> "./configure" \
> "--enable-modules=most" \
> "--enable-mods-shared=all" \
> "--with-mpm=event" \
> "--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \
>

> and got this on startup:
>
> [Wed Nov 11 20:56:15 2009] [crit] (70023)This function has not been
> implemented on this platform: Couldn't create a Thread Safe Pollset. Is it
> supported on your platform?Also check system or user limits!
> Pre-configuration failed

resolved in r836165

--with-mpm=event will be rejected during configure; other failure
scenarios were with no mpm options (event was the default) and
--enable-mpms-shared=all (event and simple were built even though they
would fail at startup)